Memory Leak

MikeBwca

Re: Memory Leak

Post by MikeBwca »

ic. Sorry. Didn't mean to imply you didn't know.

There have been so many changes since 5.8.1+ that I reverted to 5.8.0.14. Maybe try that.
Just make sure you keep the updates, sothat you can easily go back.
holmesm

Post by holmesm »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:21 pm ic. Sorry. Didn't mean to imply you didn't know.

There have been so many changes since 5.8.1+ that I reverted to 5.8.0.14. Maybe try that.
Just make sure you keep the updates, sothat you can easily go back.
I'm at my wits end - I really do appreciate suggestions. I have tried every combination of settings. I even formatted the hard drive. My BI setup has been working pretty good for about two years.
I keep a download every time I update. I would rather find what is causing the memory leak, but I'm out of ideas - so I am again back to v 5.8.7.11 because it's the last version that works well for me..
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

What cpu and vid card do you have? Back when I first started I had issues related to the version of the Intel video drivers so might be worth checking an updating/dowongrading.
holmesm

Post by holmesm »

IAmATeaf wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:22 am What cpu and vid card do you have? Back when I first started I had issues related to the version of the Intel video drivers so might be worth checking an updating/dowongrading.
I am running Windows 11 on a SuperMicro X12SPL board w/Xeon Platinum 32 core 2.2ghz and Nvidia T600. I'm running 19 cameras mostly poe Annke with a few indoor wireless cams. My system has been up now for about 18 hours and cpu is at 4% gpu at 5% and ram 8.03gb. My Nvidia drivers are the latest and system is up to date other than BI. I currently have hardware decode off with all cameras set to default. I do have substreams on all cameras and have checked the frame and key rates match - except for a couple of the indoor wireless one that cannot be adjusted. I disabled those cameras first in the newer version to see if that was causing the leak - no joy.

Except for adding a camera or switching out a new one here and there, it has been this setup and running happily for about 3 years.
Rantech

Post by Rantech »

I'm having a memory leak issue as well with 5.9.0.7 and CP 2.6.2 (tried 5.9.1.5 and same issue so went back to 5.9.0.7 as latest stable release). My symptoms are triggered by changing any camera settings and saving. After restarting the camera, the RAM memory use climbs continuously until the system becomes unstable. If I restart the camera that I had changed settings on, the RAM use drops to normal (about 800MB) but it immediately starts climbing again. However, if after changing camera settings, I stop the Blue Iris service and then restart Blue Iris, it starts and runs stable with no memory leak. However, if I again change camera settings and save (restarting the camera), the memory use starts climbing again. Basically, I now find myself having to stop and start the service every time I change any camera settings - a bit of a pain when you are tweaking and trying to find the best motion detection settings so making lots of changes to settings.

As far as I know, the system had been running stable for a few months with no memory issues until I starting using IPCam Custom Models with Code Project. Until a couple of days ago, I was only using the default object detection and custom models were turned off (now default object detection is off and custom models are on but each camera AI page is set to use only IPCam-combined). The memory leak issue started as soon as I turned on and started using the custom model. If I do nothing, the memory use climbs until both Code Project and Blue Iris have problems and shutdown or crash.
TimG

Post by TimG »

As a test, could you temporarily disable anti-virus and then tweak a BI5 setting to see if that affects it ? I'm using BI5 v5.9.1.5 here with no memory leak.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Rantech

Post by Rantech »

I disabled HA on all cameras, disabled custom models and went back to default object detection, added python.exe to the windows security exception list, and upgraded to BI 5.9.1.6 and everything has been stable and fine for a couple of days. I'll give it til the weekend to prove that the system is stable and then will try custom models again and see if it is still stable or not. FYI: I have all the anti virus things I can disable permanently disabled (from the original install since the Computer is dedicated to Blue Iris and is used for nothing else - since new), basically only things that can't be turned off are on (e.g., real time protection). However, if the problem comes back when I turn on custom models again, I'll try disabling real time protection (which can only be disabled temporarily) to see if that has an effect. Will post back again when I have more info in a few days. Also thinking of upgrading to CP 2.6.5 but will probably try that as a last step if nothing else works.
Rantech

Post by Rantech »

Unfortunately, what I thought was a stable system isn't quite stable. It turns out that the problem only randomly occurs now but it still does occur. Maybe every 3 or 4 times I restart a camera after editing settings, something is going wrong when starting the camera stream and it isn't handling memory correctly and the memory use climbs continuously as described before. It doesn't happen everytime but if I watch for 5 min after changing a setting and restarting, the first few minutes tells me if it is working correctly or memory use is going to eplode and the system will crash. Yesterday, I made some changes and thought it would be fine so I ignored it and about 6 hrs later when I checked memory use was at 93% (on a system with 16GB of RAM).

I have noticed this only happens when restarting one of my new Hikvision 180 degree view cameras (Hikvision 2CD2387G2P). Perhaps because these cameras stitch together two images from two sensors and have a larger bitrate there is a problem which becomes apparent which doesn't otherwise show up?
Rantech

Post by Rantech »

I have done a bunch more troubleshooting and narrowed my problem down to something that changed between BI 5.8.8.12 and 5.8.9.10; stable on 5.8.8.12 but memory issues manifest for me in 5.8.8.12 and newer. You can see my posts in another thread with info on my tests.
https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... 059#p18059

I have also now confirmed the same behavior on another of the BI systems that I manage, and another user (in the other thread) has confirmed that his memory issue is triggered in the same way as mine so that's three systems that I know of that are exhibiting the same memory issue on recent versions of BI.

You might want to try repeating the same steps as me, and seeing if this is what triggers your memory issue... basically, restart the BI service clean then monitor ram use for a few minutes to get a baseline ... then edit and restart cameras and see if the system returns to the stable baseline memory after restarting the cameras or whether the memory use starts to climb. If within a few minutes the RAM use climbs well above the initial baseline (with no motion activity ongoing) and does not return to normal, then my experience is it will just keep climbing until the system crashes. If you restart the BI service but do not edit any camera settings then the system will run indefinitely with no issues.