Baby/pet cam with two way audio?

General discussion about Blue Iris
EDCK

Baby/pet cam with two way audio?

Post by EDCK »

Can anyone suggest a Baby/pet cam with two way audio that works well with blue iris?

I can't find any that don't require workarounds.

Just looking for a simple indoor wifi cam with audio.

Thanks!
TimG

Re: Baby/pet cam with two way audio?

Post by TimG »

Pogo usually mentions the Tapo C110 to fit most of those specs, but I don't know if BI5 can do two way audio with it.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
EDCK

Post by EDCK »

TimG wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:01 pm Pogo usually mentions the Tapo C110 to fit most of those specs, but I don't know if BI5 can do two way audio with it.
The audio does not work with BI, i bought one recently to try.

Any idea if the reolinks will?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

EDCK wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:08 am Can anyone suggest a Baby/pet cam with two way audio that works well with blue iris?
There are no cams that work worth crap with Blue Iris for two-way talk according to even the IPCT BI apologists and EmpireAndy (Mr. Dahua) himself.

One way audio (listen only) seems to be a different story by most accounts and I've had limited success just messing around with various brands from Wyze to Amcrest to Reolink to Hik. The C110 should at least provide one way audio with Blue Iris.

Some would suggest using a doorbell cam and whatever proprietary ecosystem instead depending on environment and application. Perhaps a hybrid using a Reolink doorbell?
TimG

Post by TimG »

I've sent a list of questions to Ken, and this is one of them :geek:
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

The answer from Ken is that Reolink at some stage removed the ability for Blue Iris to use the RTSP back channel for 2-way audio in their firmware and that with BI5 version 5.9.1 the help was revised to include a short list of some compatible models. He goes on to say that the best ones right now are going to be Amcrest, as he has that one directly implemented via their DLL.

Checking the Help file, I see this on Page 62:
Talk (2-way audio)
Using a microphone to talk or send audio to the camera is supported for many models in one of several ways:

Amcrest AD and ASH models are supported using a proprietary DLL and connection.

For many other specific make/model selections (not generic/ONVIF), “talk” has been reverse engineered. This includes many models offered by Axis, Wansview (and its many compatibles), Sharx, Trendnet (and its many compatibles), DLink, Hikvision, LevelOne, AVTech, Dahua, Doorbird, and others.

Rarely implemented, some cameras support an RTSP “backchannel” to get the audio back to the camera. This channel is continuously open and sends silence when not in use. If your camera does not support this, the talk device setting will be automatically reverted to (this camera).

The Axis network speaker is supported with a separate IP address on your network.

You also may select to send audio to another camera completely.

If talk is not supported by Blue Iris on the configured make/model, the sound will be played from the PC’s speakers instead.

You may select on this page a WAV sound file to be played when talk begins (a “hail” sound clip) and when talk ends (an “over” sound clip). Think Star Trek communicator sounds here.
Forum Moderator.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Blame Reolink!

Pretty weak.

What I find most curious is why not just use the app that accompanies the camera for two-way talk in the first place? That usually works as well as it's going to get with the particular product and platform.