Older Panasonic BB-HCM705A cameras lagging/slow motion

General discussion about Blue Iris
leaner

Older Panasonic BB-HCM705A cameras lagging/slow motion

Post by leaner »

Hi, I've been using blue iris with a combination of newer ip cameras and older Panasonic BB-HCM705A ip cameras.

For a long time everything ran smoothly. However, recently the Panasonic cameras have been streaming with a lag or slow motion (not sure if it's the same.) I assume some lagging in cameras is normal, but with the panasonic cameras there is slow motion as well. Not sure why if it was running fine before (nothing has in the camera settings has changed). When downloading the clips, they download with the same slow motion effect.

Any ideas? Could it be an update that did this?

Thanks!
TimG

Re: Older Panasonic BB-HCM705A cameras lagging/slow motion

Post by TimG »

Are the newer IP cameras all working normally ? All the Panasonic cameras not ? Anything in the Log ? And are they H264 or something different ? Resolutions ? Slow network ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
leaner

Post by leaner »

TimG wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:22 pm Are the newer IP cameras all working normally ? All the Panasonic cameras not ? Anything in the Log ? And are they H264 or something different ? Resolutions ? Slow network ?
Are the newer IP cameras all working normally ? yes

All the Panasonic cameras not ? They all have the same slow motion effect

Anything in the Log ? Nothing out of the ordinary

And are they H264 or something different ? This is a good one. So all the new ones are H264. The Panasonic ones, when access them using their ip, there is a "streaming format" section with two options:
1. H.264 (640x480/320x240) / MJPEG (640x480/320x240/192x144)
2. MPEG-4 (640x480/320x240/192x144) / MJPEG (640x480/320x240/192x144)

I have the first one selected, but when I look at the Blue iris status, all the panasonic cameras have "MJPG" under codec whereas all the newer cameras have H264. Also all the new ones seem to have a sub FPS (which I don't remember assigning) and the panasonic ones do not. However because of the model being so old, I can't find where I can assign a sub fps on the panasonic cameras.

What's stranger still is that all the cameras use to work just fine...
TimG

Post by TimG »

This would be a good one for trialing an older version of BI5 to see if your suspicions are correct. Do you have BI5 set to retain versions as it updates ? Do you know when this started ?
Other thoughts:
1. Has your network become overloaded ? I'm thinking that H264 was brought in to reduce bandwidth requirements (compared to MJPG) as cameras grew more pixels. Something new on the same network ?
2. I think sub-streams only became a thing as resolutions increased. The Panasonic having a main-stream of 640x480 is very low now. It's the minimum size I set sub-streams too, so I don't think an even smaller sub-stream would be of much use even if it exists.
Forum Moderator.
leaner

Post by leaner »

So I looked into your idea of the network being overloaded, which lead me to a forum where someone suggested a restart of the Blueiris server, and wouldn't you know it, that solved the issue!

Still seems strange, but at least now I know how to tackle the issue if it happens again. Thanks for the feedback! It lead to the right direction!
TimG

Post by TimG »

Arrgh, the basics. Must send note to self :lol:
Forum Moderator.