BlueIris Drive Drive(s) Over Quota

General discussion about Blue Iris
Crusher21

BlueIris Drive Drive(s) Over Quota

Post by Crusher21 »

Hello!

I keep getting issues where Blue Iris stops recording and states that my drives are "over quota". It is right that they are over quota, but they shouldn't be. Please see my attachment for the configuration of my storage settings within Blue Iris.
Basically, when one folder hits the maximum space allocation, it moves the files to the next
New -> Stored -> Stored_2 -> Stored_3 -> Stored_4
Each of these folders is on a separate physical drive, and "New" is on an SSD.

The problem is that I often see the "New" folder fill up and the drive hits max capacity, but it's because Blue Iris never moved the files to Stored like it was suppose to. For example, just the other day my "New" folder (SSD, my C drive) filed up way past the allotted 20GB to the point that my entire C drive had 4MB remaining, which of course caused a lot of issues. However, you can see that I have a 20GB cap set on the "New" folder so this shouldn't have been possible.

I'm not sure what's going on here, but has anyone experienced this kind of issue before? Am I doing something wrong?

Also, on another note, this strategy of moving files from drive to drive seems quite inefficient. I think it would be a lot more efficient to start saving the files on a different drive once the initial drive(s) get filled up, instead of constantly moving the files around from drive to drive. If there is a better strategy I can use, please let me know!
Attachments
Blue Iris Storage Config.jpg
Blue Iris Storage Config.jpg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 498 times
IAmATeaf

Re: BlueIris Drive Drive(s) Over Quota

Post by IAmATeaf »

I personally don’t move anything around, I have 2 drives and have half my cams recording straight to one and the others recording to the other.

I then limit each drive by space and not age.

No moving clips around at all. In terms of which cams write to which, I logically split them so if for example I have 2 cams overlooking the same area then I have 1 writing to 1 drive and the other to the other. This way if 1 drive were to die then at least I’d have clips from the other view.

Another thing worth noting is that moving clips around is CPU intensive so my view is why bother!
TimG

Post by TimG »

Also 20GB is very small for video clips. I leave that much spare on a BI drive ! Have a look how big your clip files are and increase that size. I do use a SSD, but a separate one only used for the database and 'New' etc. My new is 750GB+ on a 1TB SSD with unpartitioned space left to reduce wear (so they tell me).
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

IAmATeaf wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:28 pm I personally don’t move anything around, I have 2 drives and have half my cams recording straight to one and the others recording to the other.

I then limit each drive by space and not age.

No moving clips around at all. In terms of which cams write to which, I logically split them so if for example I have 2 cams overlooking the same area then I have 1 writing to 1 drive and the other to the other. This way if 1 drive were to die then at least I’d have clips from the other view.

Another thing worth noting is that moving clips around is CPU intensive so my view is why bother!
I'd use that methodology but the problem is that I have 8ish spare drives of different sizes that I'm using to store the data on. I want to be able to keep at least the last 6 months of recordings from two cameras. It sounds like the best option is just to build another NAS specifically for Blue Iris clips and continuously write to the NAS, but it's tricky to build a NAS with drives of different sizes.

I'm going to try increasing the initial limit from 20GB to 100GB. FYI, I didn't used to run into this issue. My setup has been running fine for the last few months. One of the latest updates must not be playing well with my setup.

Is it possible to have Blue Iris write information to a folder, such as "New", until that folder is at capacity, and then start writing to another folder until that folder reaches capacity, and so on and so fourth? That seems to be a solution that should solve my problem of constantly moving files around

One last note: My setup is completely virtualized through Proxmox
TimG wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:23 pm Also 20GB is very small for video clips. I leave that much spare on a BI drive ! Have a look how big your clip files are and increase that size. I do use a SSD, but a separate one only used for the database and 'New' etc. My new is 750GB+ on a 1TB SSD with unpartitioned space left to reduce wear (so they tell me).
I completely agree! I'm going to bump my "New" up to 100GB.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Is it possible to have Blue Iris write information to a folder, such as "New", until that folder is at capacity, and then start writing to another folder until that folder reaches capacity, and so on and so fourth? That seems to be a solution that should solve my problem of constantly moving files around
I don't think so. My strategy is to keep "New" off the OS drive for reasons you found in the first post above. If clip files are set to 4GB and you (for example) have ten cameras, you can't fit 10 x 4GB in a 20GB "New" folder, and I think that will confuse BI5. Check your present actual recording files will fit in the new "New" folder, and leave some headroom so the drive cannot overfill. That should allow BI5 to manage "New" for you.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.