New folder gets too big

mcvpjd3

New folder gets too big

Post by mcvpjd3 »

I've setup my new folder to be on my servers C:\ drive, managed folder, shared drive and set it to 50GB, with the option of move to folder "Stored". Then Stored is setup to point to my NAS (QNAP Storage). This is set to "Managed Folder, unmanaged drive", set to 100GB but a clip age of 28 days. I'm having a problem in that the New folder is constantly going over the 50GB limit - I'm talking about 200GB sometimes before I get in to clean it up. My Stored does have files in it - but also older than 28 days (as of today 27th Dec - I've got files going back to 10th November).

Have I configured something incorrectly?

Thanks
IAmATeaf

Re: New folder gets too big

Post by IAmATeaf »

50Gb is no space at all for video clips.

Don’t bother moving things around, write directly to your storage HDD then move that to the NAS. Moving large files around locally within the PC will impose a load on the PC when the files are being moved around.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Good advice. I also look how long the period is for a folder from oldest to newest files, then double it and put it in as an age limitation as a catch all if the files still exist.

I also don't put ANY of my BI5 storage folders on my OS drive, as Windows is perfectly capable of borking itself without any help :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I also don’t put in an age, just allocate the size and then let BI deal with moving or deleting.
mcvpjd3

Post by mcvpjd3 »

Thanks for the advice. I only record on motion so normally it's not that big in terms of storage. This is on a server so load on the PC isn't an issue. I will review based on the feedback but I'd still like to understand if the way I have it configured should infact put data to the "New" folder until it hits whatever size limits I set (currently 50GB) and then start moving the older data to my "Stored" folder and then delete that after 28 days or if I've misunderstood the settings?

Thanks