Starting from scratch - some recommendations needed

Xgatt

Post by Xgatt »

I'll be setting up system completely from scratch and have settled on Blue Iris + DeepStack for the software side. I'll be wiring the house for ethernet and have a good 24 port POE switch to go along with it. If I don't own any cameras now and were to start totally from scratch, what are the most recommended models for 4k dual stream with direct to disk recording? I know Reolinks (the 810a, etc) are talked about a lot, but I'm also confused if they actually have a working setup with Blue Iris.

Thanks!
HeneryH

Re: Starting from scratch - some recommendations needed

Post by HeneryH »

Sorry for no help on your question but you may find it interesting that I am quite happy with my 2mp cams. Unless you are trying to catch gambling criminals you might not need or benefit from 4k cams.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Each persons camera requirements can be quite different.

I would suggest researching FOV (field of view), and look for cameras that have larger FOV. The larger fov, the more the camera will see, and, fewer cameras you will need. Look for ones that atr PTZ and Digital Zoom. Some othe the outdoor ones are heated and even have wipers!

I have 3 4mp cameras I'm testing. One is 150 degree fov, 1 is 180., the the other... I can't remember!
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Look for cams with the biggest sensors you can afford and also with the best nighttime specs, then have a look at the mp of the cam.

Oh and although there might be quite a few Reolink and BI users out there from what I’ve read there can be issues so best to avoid.

My system is based around 6 2Mp cams (Dahua 5231t-ze) and 2 4Mp cams (Dahua 5442t-ase and a ze) and if I were to upgrade the 2Mp cams it would be with 4Mp cams as currently there isn’t a decent 4K cam that that can compete with the 4Mp cams I have.
Last edited by IAmATeaf on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Another old favourite is this site: https://calculator.ipvm.com/

Click on 'change location' and locate/zoom in to your property. Add various cameras with different FOV and see if the coverage is sufficient. Note the PPM (Pixels per Meter - can be set to PPF) that shows what you will probably be able to see/identify etc at a defined distance.

My personal view is that you need enough fixed cameras to see everything, then you can add PTZ's to play with. If cameras are outside and the lighting is unknown, then look at the specs for low light. My Dahua starlight cams can see in colour when my eyes see darkness.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.