Performance issues with Intel I7 7700 + 16gb ram (Dell Optiplex 7050 MICRO)

shackle101

Performance issues with Intel I7 7700 + 16gb ram (Dell Optiplex 7050 MICRO)

Post by shackle101 »

Hello all,

So I got a Dell OptiPlex 7050 micro PC with I7 7700 (standard desktop CPU) with 16gb ram for blue Iris since my main PC is AMD and can't use hardware acceleration. I have about 11 cameras mostly running at 1080p. A couple of them are 720, and 2 are a bit higher. According to windows I'm using about 20% CPU, but blue iris says I'm using 91-98% most the time. Maybe blue iris isn't using all my cores? I have 2 2k cams I had to reduce to 1080p to get to run correctly even with hardware acceleration on. I notice a big lag with my 2 Wyze cams with RTSP firmware. It wouldn't allow me to set intel hardware acceleration on the Wyze cams. I have the 64bit installation it's running from standard 64bit program files. My ram usage is below 30%.

I know micro PCs are not ideal from a temperature standpoint, but I don't see any thermal throttling. I put new thermal paste (Artic Silver) and I have a using external fan running on the micro desktops ventilation areas. I'm using an external USB 3.0 harddrive if that matters. The performance is fine for some of my cameras.

What could be causing my performance issues? On my AMD system, all the cameras ran fine, but it was eating the life out of my CPU.
Last edited by shackle101 on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimG

Re: Performance issues with Intel I7 7700 + 16gb ram

Post by TimG »

I'm using about 20% CPU, but blue iris says I'm using 91-98% most the time.
That's odd, mine matches fairly closely with the old AMD Piledriver cpu. Is the 20% from Task Manager ?
What could be causing my performance issues? On my AMD system, all the cameras ran fine, but it was eating the life out of my CPU.
Have you set up the usual methods to reduce cpu loading ? Have a look here to see what cpu loading other users with similar systems have https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats and let us know. I assume the websites showing this cpu vs that cpu show your Intel cpu to be faster ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

shackle101 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:07 pm According to windows I'm using about 20% CPU, but blue iris says I'm using 91-98% most the time. Maybe blue iris isn't using all my cores?
I think from what you are describing is that Blue Iris' method for calculating CPU usage doesn't match Windows task manager. This may be only a cosmetic problem and does not reflect that your CPU is really running at 91-98%. When Blue Iris' CPU usage doesn't match Windows task manager CPU usage, you can adjust the way Blue Iris calculates the CPU usage factor.

Open Blue Iris console and then go into Settings -> Other and change "CPU usage factor" from 1 to 2, 3 or 4.

From the help manual:
The CPU usage factor can be used to adjust the way in which Blue Iris displays the CPU
utilization in the status bar and as is reported for remote management. If Blue Iris shows
20%, but your task manager shows 40%, please set this value to 2.00.
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
shackle101

Post by shackle101 »

Thanks for the responses. I figured out the issue. Dell does limit the CPU to 10%, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it above that even changing bios settings. It's a common issue with dell apparently normally due to the power adapter, but for my case, it wasn't the power adapter. It was picking up the OEM 130watt without issues. After much research and digging, I found the TrottleStop app, which initially I couldn't get it to work at all. I found that if you uncheck every setting in Throttlestop under "settings," it released my CPU to normal speeds. I believe the setting in concern was "BD PROCHOT." What's surprising is BlueIris was working reasonably well considering it could only use 10% of my CPU :-)

I hope maybe this can help someone else down the road who wants a compact setup like me. My CPU is running at 50-57C most of the time, which in theory should be okay for not burning the CPU up at some point given it will be running 24/7. I have an external fan on it that helps.

With all my Cams up and running at full resolution now, I'm using 15-25% CPU most the time. Roughly 3gb of ram. Intel is undoubtedly the way to go for BlueIris. My Ryzen 2700 was maxed out 100% often even with direct to disc, FPS limits, etc..
shackle101

Re: Performance issues with Intel I7 7700 + 16gb ram (Dell Optiplex 7050 MICRO)

Post by shackle101 »

Na, I'm just a new user so I guess the admin has to approve my post. I edited my main post to include the PC model.

Hopefully, I won't need approvals much more going forward. I'm not a spambot lol.
reddawg wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:34 pm It appears that the OP deleted his post.
shackle101

Re: Performance issues with Intel I7 7700 + 16gb ram (Dell Optiplex 7050 MICRO)

Post by shackle101 »

So I take it that Intel hardware acceleration makes a huge difference huh? My Ryzen is obviously far more powerful than the intel, and I applied all the BI performance configs.
ctfjr

Post by ctfjr »

shackle101 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 pm . . . . . I believe the setting in concern was "BD PROCHOT." . . . .
I am no maven on Intel processors or AMD for that matter but its my understanding that "BD PROCHOT" is an internal throttling device to keep the processor from overheating. I believe it throttles the cpu clock down as it approaches max temp. If you lift that safety you may end up letting the magic smoke out of the processor.
shackle101

Post by shackle101 »

Yeah, the problem is they throttle far more than what's needed. I guess they take in years of not cleaning it or reapplying thermal compound into consideration and power consumption ratings. My temps are 50-58 c, usually when running BI. That's quite acceptable for an I7 7700 is my understanding. sometimes it can get into the 60c in heavy load. These CPUs can run up to 100c. If I ever see it hitting 80c I would be concerned.
ctfjr wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:05 am
shackle101 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:57 pm . . . . . I believe the setting in concern was "BD PROCHOT." . . . .
I am no maven on Intel processors or AMD for that matter but its my understanding that "BD PROCHOT" is an internal throttling device to keep the processor from overheating. I believe it throttles the cpu clock down as it approaches max temp. If you lift that safety you may end up letting the magic smoke out of the processor.