BI paired with NVR

General discussion about Blue Iris
mreev90

BI paired with NVR

Post by mreev90 »

I purchased BI with the intention of using it as an all-in-one surveillance management system. I do have an NVR that I would like to replace with BI for capabilities and ease of use. However, while perusing many of the posts here, I have noticed that some folks record to their NVR along with (rather than instead of) BI. I am now wondering if my intention to through out the NVR is not a good idea. I am interested in hearing why some prefer to dual record to both their NVR and BI. Is it just for redundancy? Is BI not as reliable as a traditional NVR? Are there capabilities in their NVR that are not in BI?
mpoczynek

Re: BI paired with NVR

Post by mpoczynek »

I can't see why one would use an NVR with BI. BI replaces the NVR. It will be interesting to see what responses you receive. Good question.
I went with BI to avoid an NVR and have much more power and flexibility. Plus, I had an i9 Intel box sitting around that works great.
louyo

Post by louyo »

We have 13 cameras. 6 of these were "inherited" along with an NVR when we moved in. I moved all but 2 cameras to BI. Those 2 do not have the default password, so I can't move them. Until we replace them, we use the NVR, it works fine. I see no downside to this other than another potential point of failure. A close lightening hit took out the NVR's 12 volt PS, I patched in a wall wart.
One of these days, when I get a round tuit, and the bean counter agrees with the $, those 2 will get replaced.
Lou
TimG

Post by TimG »

Some of the NVR users will have older cctv cameras that cannot be added directly to BI5, but the NVR itself can, so connecting all of their non compliant cameras to the new system. BI5 is basically an NVR on steroids with any hardware updates you may want, and a software developer that listens to his user base.
Every user has different requirements too, so why throw away the old NVR if it can be used as part of the system. The obvious weakness of BI5 is that you need to keep Windows in good shape with updates, whereas an NVR will be Linux based and not need many updates through its life cycle. Less maintenance required for the NVR, but it cannot be modified for the next big thing.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I use two Amcrest DV8M8-H5 4K DVRs that each accommodate both analog and IP cameras along with an Amcrest NV4108-HS 4K NVR which are all integrated into my overall Blue Iris network. The power, flexibility, and dependability/redundancy of such a system is exceptional.

Integrating a DVR with Blue Iris, especially an older system already in place that still may have some useful life left, makes all the sense in the world as a major management and flexibility upgrade to the existing analog system along with providing a logical migration path to newer technology at whatever pace, learning curve and budget one chooses to apply.

Integrating a DVR or NVR with Blue Iris is as easy, if not easier, than adding a camera. I've posted about it in several therads.
mreev90

Post by mreev90 »

Thank You all so much for the insight. I can certainly understand the redundancy issue and compatibility of old equipment. I have all IP cameras and their passwords that can be integrated into BI. So I think I'm just going with BI.

BYW - My lifelong goal is that get a round tuit one day as well.