USING AMCREST DDNS WITH BI 5

General discussion about Blue Iris
RugbyRick14

USING AMCREST DDNS WITH BI 5

Post by RugbyRick14 »

I need help setting up remote access of Amcrest cameras on BI 5 software. Everything works fine when I use the WAN IP address of my router but I would like to use the ddn service provided with the Amcrest camera because I do not have a static IP address (WAN) from my Internet Service Provider. My camera has the address 192.168.1.101, the host name randr.amcrestddns.com and http port 37779. My PC has the static IP address of 192.168.1.100 and Blue Iris Web Server is running on port 81. I have created the following two port forwarding rules in my router; 192.168.1.100 port 81 and 192.168.1.101 port 37779. Both ports are open and confirmed by canyouseeme.org. I'm not sure what to enter into my BI mobile app or BI server WAN settings. Any help would be appreciated.
TimG

Re: USING AMCREST DDNS WITH BI 5

Post by TimG »

Hi, did you get this going ?

I think the wan address to put in BI mobile would be randr.amcrestddns.com:81
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I had a similar issue where if the power goes out, the router's WAN IP is randomized when everything powers back up. It's drawn from a limited pool of addresses, but it's always different. I cobbled together this little bash script to upload the current IP to a server whenever Linux boots up. I suspect this would work in Windows Powershell with some edits. You could also have it send you an email or a text message with the current IP. Or put it on a cron job and have it update every 15/30/60 minutes or whatever.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# uploads the current public-facing WAN/internet IP 

# sleep for a few minutes to give the router time to boot up and connect zzzzzz
sleep 3m 

# get the new/current WAN IP address
myip="$(dig TXT +short o-o.myaddr.l.google.com @ns1.google.com | awk -F'"' '{ print $2}')"  

# print to screen because reasons 
echo "My WAN/Public IP address: ${myip}" 

# write the current/new WAN IP address to ip.txt, but prepend the IP to the file so the newest IP is always at the top  
echo -e "$myip\n$(cat ip.txt)" > "ip.txt"

# upload the file to the root of mydomain.com
curl -T "ip.txt" -u user@mydomain.com:PASSWORD ftp.mydomain.com/htdocs/ 
}
Last edited by Thixotropic on Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

WARNING - First of all, if you are using BI then you should have no reason to make your cameras accessible to the internet.

For a number of important reasons that would be a TERRIBLE idea.

Only grant inbound internet access to your BI server. And your windows machine needs to be as secure as possible. There are a range of other option available if you ever want to get into that discussion.