XCP-ng performance loss vs ESXi

fossmarkluni

XCP-ng performance loss vs ESXi

Post by fossmarkluni »

Hi,

I'm switching over from VMware ESXi 6.7U2 to XCP-ng 8.2.1 and in this process I'm reusing my old hosts. Blue Iris 5.x have been running on one of my HPE DL380 Gen9 servers for years, with 12 virtual cpu's assigned and 12 GB of RAM. When trying to switch over to XCP-ng the CPU usage went up from 40-50% avg. (no clients) to 80-90% avg. (no clients) with identical vm setup. I imported the same Blue Iris settings and I have tried to find the solution, but it seems like ESXi is just more efficient or supports some other form of passthrough to the physical cpu (2 x Intel E5- 2630 v3). Running 9 Axis cameras with 1080p streams and 4 x Sunba PTZ 601-D20X with 1080p streams. I haven't touched the BIOS/setup on my hosts, so the same conditions apply. I have also tried migrating to a Dell PowerEdge R430 running XCP-ng with identical results.

Any ideas?
fossmarkluni

Re: XCP-ng performance loss vs ESXi

Post by fossmarkluni »

Perhaps Spectre, Meltdown and other CPU mitigations could be a factor :?:
TimG

Post by TimG »

It doesn't look like there are many forum members with a similar configuration :o
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
louyo

Post by louyo »

No experience with XCP-ng. You might try seeing what cpu load you get with BI and no cameras, compared to a similar set up in ESXi.
We are beginning to test with proxmox to replace ESXi, down the road.
For those who are not familiar with ESXi:
Vmware was bought out by Broadcom. They did away with the free version of ESXi as well as the 2 essentials versions and are converting vsphere to subscription only. So, the choice for us is to move to subscription in the summer when our maintenance runs out, or convert to something else. Proxmox has some decent support plans as well as a free version for testing. I am running it as a VM for testing and will put it on hardware if it looks OK. I have 3 BI's running in ESXi VMs with linux docker images of CPAI. Works very well.