Check FPS and Key Rates Warning!

Sardon

Check FPS and Key Rates Warning!

Post by Sardon »

Could anyone advise on how to resolve this warning?

I'm unable to eliminate the error related to the key frame.
key-warning.jpg
key-warning.jpg (12.13 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
main.jpg
main.jpg (23.07 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
The I-frame interval is greyed out in the main camera profile and cannot be adjusted and is set to 50 by default.
sub.jpg
sub.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
Yet on the substream it can be adjusted.

Any ideas?
IAmATeaf

Re: Check FPS and Key Rates Warning!

Post by IAmATeaf »

Have you tried changing a few options such h265 to h264 to see if any of them enable the iframe setting?
TimG

Post by TimG »

And H265+ (PLUS) ON makes it less compatible for BI5 and more compatible for Annke nvr's. Try OFF for BI5. Vanilla is best.
Last edited by TimG on Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It needed some love and attention to reach its true potential.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

I've just disabled H.265+ and was able to lower the i frame interval to match the frame rate thus getting rid of the warning.

Ok well I'll leave it off for now :)

I'm really tempted to reposition this camera and have it point out my balcony ! the quality is super , only problem is the viewing position of this camera, maybe I can 3D print a bracket for it.

Thanks anyway guys!
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Somewhat related... my freshman high school math teacher drilled this into me.

Can anyone tell me the units for the key frame number? something/something
TimG

Post by TimG »

I've got it written on a slate with a piece of chalk somewhere unless it's been raining in the UK :!:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

TimG wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:20 pm I've got it written on a slate with a piece of chalk somewhere unless it's been raining in the UK :!:
Seem like one of those items that when people throw numbers out without units I just take it without knowing specifically what it means?

Generally, yeah, full frames with complete data and then subsequent frames only have changed data. Great. Basic compression logic.

But what exactly is the number representing with units?
Neewham

Post by Neewham »

This is from
https://www.coconut.co/articles/optimiz ... le%20sizes.

Defining Keyframes
Keyframes, as we mentioned earlier, are the anchors in a video stream. They are the frames that contain complete image data and serve as reference points for the frames that follow. The interval between keyframes, known as the keyframe interval or GOP size, is a crucial parameter in video streaming. It determines how often a complete image is sent in the video stream. A smaller keyframe interval means more keyframes, which results in higher video quality but also larger file sizes. Conversely, a larger keyframe interval means fewer keyframes, which results in smaller file sizes but potentially lower video quality. Therefore, optimizing the keyframe interval is a balancing act between video quality and streaming efficiency.
Neewham

Post by Neewham »

This is from
https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/sub-stream-guide/

I-Frame Interval (keyframe interval or "GOP")
Blue Iris developer's recommendations:

The i-frame interval should be equal to the frame rate (for best responsiveness and stability).
The i-frame interval should be not higher than double the frame rate (if improved compression efficiency is required).
The main stream and sub stream should have the same frame rate and i-frame interval.
Blue Iris will still work if you ignore the above recommendations, but you may have more problems. If you wish to tweak the i-frame interval, you should first know these facts:

A short i-frame interval on the main stream will help the main stream load faster when you maximize a camera.
Shorter i-frame intervals on both streams (main and sub) allow Blue Iris to begin direct-to-disc recording sooner after recording is triggered, so you require less pre-trigger video buffer in Blue Iris camera properties > Record tab.
Shorter i-frame intervals yield worse compression (lower quality and/or higher file size). Higher i-frame intervals yield better compression. How much this actually matters is difficult to judge.
In all cases, I recommend the i-frame interval be between one and two times the frame rate, where the exact value you choose is a balance that suits your individual needs.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Neewham wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:44 pm The i-frame interval should be equal to the frame rate (for best responsiveness and stability).
So it sounds like the units for i-frame are "frames/interval"

and iframe being equal to the frame rate means that you get one i-frame per second

(x frames/sec ) / (x frames/interval) = 1 interval / sec