Seeking help with substream settings for Foscam FI9831W camera

General discussion about Blue Iris
Sardon

Re: Seeking help with substream settings for Foscam FI9831W camera

Post by Sardon »

pootug wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:54 pm this is mine..
it should work in vlc plyer using
rtsp://ipaddr:port/videoSub
rtsp://ipaddr:port/videoMain
What model of Foscam camera is this that you are using ?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Jumbled thoughts:

1. Looks familiar. I have a Foscam R2 with similar settings,
2. Pootug is correct about using VLC to view the feeds,
3. A 640x480 sub-stream does fine here with CPAI.
4. Onvif Device Manager may coax the stream details out of it if they exist.
5. Also have a look on the I-Spy site for stream details for your camera.
6. More cameras !!!!
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

You know, I had a hunch that the issues with the RTSP feed not working might be tied to the username and password I use for the Foscam camera which are semi complex

It seemed unlikely, given that both Blue Iris and the Foscam web interface accept them. But, lo and behold, after setting up a basic administrator account with a simple 'admin' username and a very weak password, and opening VLC to stream with the format rtsp://user:pw@IP:port/videomain, it worked, I got a stream.

Yet, for some reason, Blue Iris refuses to allow the creation of an RTSP stream. It seems there might be a conflict or issue with the username / password fields in Blue Iris, leading to this anomaly.

Despite entering the above in the format of rtsp://user:pw@IP:port/videomain of which I then clear out the username and password from the fields.. blue iris will always show the camera in the video properties as Network IP rtsp://IP:Port - All I can say is very odd.

It's baffling how my login credentials could disrupt RTSP functionality with VLC but BI and Foscam web front end manages just fine. Clearly an issue with complex passwords and RTSP vs HTTP.

I'm puzzled as to why I can't establish an RTSP stream in Blue Iris and even if I could I doubt I'll be able to get a substream anyway but I could if I could define these all manually!

Any ideas?
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

When enabling RTSP from the top left, all options below become inaccessible, rendering it impossible to utilise a sub-stream. Furthermore, this feature fails to even operate with the correct credentials provided.
rtsp-bi.jpg
rtsp-bi.jpg (37.77 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Presently, I am faced with two options: either upgrade to a new camera or maintain the current setup, accepting that CPAI incurs a marginally higher inference then what a sub-stream may provide. Currently, my average inference time is well below 100ms, which is quite satisfactory at a forced resolution of 1280x960
inference.jpg
inference.jpg (14.26 KiB) Viewed 776 times
Alternatively, replacing the camera is another viable option.

I also had a conversation with a Foscam sales representative just now to enquire whether all their cameras come equipped with a base screw similar to my existing model. This feature is crucial for me as it enables the use of my current bracket, facilitating an effortless swap without the necessity for drilling or precise positioning.

The representative informed me that most models, with the exception of some in the X series and the C2M, include this base screw.

Additionally, I've spotted the R4M model. Upon further investigation, I discovered that it features built-in human AI I believe the R2 also has this feature. This leads me to contemplate the potential of a conflict with CPAI, a significant consideration given the extensive efforts invested in CPAI so far.
pootug

Post by pootug »

Hi the info posted is from a Foscam FI9928P camera..which as I know from past experiences with Foscam cameras, actually and surprisingly puts out a very decent picture day and night and has been again surprisingly faultless for years..
TimG

Post by TimG »

Did you try it with HTTP on the top left ? My Foscam R2 settings look like this, and I note the model includes "F198xx" and RTSP:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 094258.png
Screenshot 2024-02-01 094258.png (136.37 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Seems simple enough. However, more pixels are what's needed here, not fewer.

https://www.foscam.com/faqs/view.html?id=81 Don't overlook the fact that port 88 is a main coinsideration..., unless it has been intentionally changed for whatever reason.

Also a handy solution for powering non-POE cameras from a POE source which could expand the camera replacement options.

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Complia ... YTEALw_wcB
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

I've thoroughly reviewed various settings and realised the issue was with my cached credentials, used for both BI and the primary Foscam admin account

This issue first came to light yesterday during my VLC rtsp tests using a dummy account that I setup. A major oversight was discovered in the discrepancy between the password length cached in BI and what was stored in Foscam being truncated. It took me two days to identify this problem. Nightmare.. Nevertheless, I have now successfully established a substream, but there remains an unresolved issue.

Despite configuring the sub-stream to a user-defined 640x480 resolution, in BI, the main and sub-stream seem indistinguishable.
status.jpg
status.jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 700 times
The system is not adhering to the substream's profile as set in the Foscam camera (I've also changed the main stream from 2M to 4M bit rate) not sure if it'll increase quality but I noticed that too.
foscam-settings.jpg
foscam-settings.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 700 times
I considered the possibility of needing to log into the Foscam camera directly into the substream itself, and then adjust the stream from there, as altering settings while logged into the main stream profile directly on the camera affects what is displayed in real-time in Blue Iris. I've attempted to log into the sub-stream directly on the Foscam web front-end and set it to a 640x480 user-defined resolution, but the problem persists.
Attachments
video-settings.jpg
video-settings.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 700 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Did you reboot the camera after changing the settings?
Sardon

Post by Sardon »

Apologies, I was in the middle of drafting my response and missed your message. I just sent a response and it vanished.. Anyway

Yes to the reboot and restart in BI still the same.
rebooting.jpg
rebooting.jpg (8.74 KiB) Viewed 694 times
After reboot:
same.jpg
same.jpg (29.34 KiB) Viewed 694 times
In my response that vanished just now, I did change my port to a different one. Is that significant? I needed to do so for easier identification of my camera, especially since I use multiple Foscams. If I had left them all on port 88, there would surely have been conflicts.

Previously I allowed these ports to remain open on my router for the purposes of using the native Foscam app which allowed 2-way audio which was clear. However, I subsequently closed them as app stopped working, leaving only the Blue Iris port accessible to the web. But after being bombarded by scans, which I found quite unsettling, I turned off all port forwarding. Now, I simply connect via a VPN on my phone to my router and then access BI mobile app over VPN, which seems to work effectively. It's a bit slower, but definitely a safer approach!

Regarding the PoE splitter, I use a TP-Link model, though I can't recall the exact one. I had to solder a 5v female cable obtained from Maplin's in UK (RadioShack equiv) onto it to fit the Foscam, as it wasn't included as a standard fit. It worked, somewhat surprisingly.

So just quickly catching up as I had to re-type most of this, yep I most certainly rebooted and restarted. I'm starting to think something is cached in my network switch. Maybe I'll kill the entire power to my home reboot everything and start again LOL

Something is wrong.. that sub-stream should be very low res at this present stage.