Storage and clips don't delete as configured

General discussion about Blue Iris
TimG

Re: Storage and clips don't delete as configured

Post by TimG »

I'm still wondering if the files are locked by something that prevents them from being moved. Did you set up the Log to make a text file, and does it show anything about locked files ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
scottlindner

Post by scottlindner »

Pogo wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:28 pm It may also still be helpful if we could see the your actual Blue Iris storage graph(s) and log entries as have been requested several times.

They are both available via the 'Status' page which is displayed by clicking the icon circled below and located at the upper left hand corner of the Blue Iris desktop window.

Status Icon.jpg
I didn't even know those graphs came from BI. I didn't see it under settings and just assumed it was some other tool people were using. I did my manual cleaning today so we'll have to wait until a month rolls by to see what happens. I just moved all files oler than 14 days to the Stored folder on the NAS. Here is what it looks like now that I know where it is.
BI Storage Status.png
BI Storage Status.png (34.89 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Looks good. As suggested, you could simply create a super miniature storage structure (by allocation sizes) that should represent the desired rotation/deletion process in a day or so instead of waiting a month for the results of the changes...., if everything works according to plan. If so, just re-adjust allocation size accordingly and check again in a month or keep an eye on the log for any errors and hopefully only see 'DBCompact:finished every morning at 2:00am (the default DB maintenance schedule) and that'll be it until actual file rotation begins..., which you could also do for the test period and have a handle on it in a couple days.

As Tim mentioned, your logs are just a click away in 'Logs' tab on the same Status page (if you haven't noticed it yet). All the recent activity will be listed there. You can also set it up to create and save text files of the active list on a monthly basis by clicking the 'Save to file' check box at the bottom of the page. This greatly reduces the potential length/size of the active drop down version and is much easier to reference for historical activity.