Connecting an Old Analog DVR to Blue Iris - Need Guidance

General discussion about Blue Iris
djspot1975

Re: Connecting an Old Analog DVR to Blue Iris - Need Guidance

Post by djspot1975 »

I managed to successfully set up the DVR with ipcam Viewer Lite, but, unfortunately, I'm unsure how to proceed with Blue Iris.

Here's the information I retrieved from the IP Camera Viewer Lite:
<cameras>
<camera name="Camera 1" type="EDR-H116 Mobile Port" url="http://192.168.1.226:34567" camInstance="1" username="admin" password="_EncodedVlxGQA==" enabled="true" setNames="" bitOptions="4194304" />
</cameras>
or:
<cameras>
<camera name="Camera 2" type="Gadspot GS2x06 w/ Mobile Port" url="http://192.168.1.226:34567" camInstance="1" username="admin" password="_EncodedVlxGQA==" enabled="true" setNames="" bitOptions="4194304" />
</cameras>
I discovered the DVR model as 'Gadspot' on Blue Iris, but it seems that it requires a specific connection setup. I attempted a network scan using Wireshark, but unfortunately, I couldn't find any significant information.

I've managed to configure the analog DVR in IP Camera Viewer Lite, but I'm completely unsure about how to add the DVR to Blue Iris.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

We seem to be unpacking quite a bit of information about an obsolete piece of gear here!

It appears that 'Gadspot' was simply a domestic (USA) wholesaler who rebranded many Asian OEM products with KongTop being one (given the I.D. of the MAC address) and several others. There are numerous stream conventions associated with the various products including variants of the GetData.cgi approach which appears to be used for the cameras themselves. Here is a link to their various product offerings along with the relevant address conventions. https://camlytics.com/camera/gadspot

But were not interested in the cameras. We're interested in the DVR -- which may or may not fall into the Gadspot family of products on the list.

I'm curious about what type of specific information has been discovered about the DVR by IPCam Viewer and whether a model number and streaming address were actually obtained.

The real test would be with ONVIF Device Manager and VLC Media Viewer for absolutely determining the validity of the information obtained for possible integration with Blue Iris. The GetData.cgi stream info may well work if applied correctly. Trial and error there. The key to any of it will be inputting the information to Blue Iris in an acceptable format.

The example I provided is how Blue Iris will want to see any streaming address to successfully display it. While the configuration windows are different between v.4 and v.5, the basic convention for the stream information is the same for each.

We're getting closer.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Here is the complete process for discovering, testing, and applying the results of the ODM/VLC/BI stream profile. This example is an rtsp stream on port 554 as discovered by ODM and displayed below the image from an analog camera through the DVR highlighted on the left.
ODM-1.jpg
ODM-1.jpg (212.57 KiB) Viewed 156055 times
Next is a validation test of the discovered stream address using VLC Media Player/Viewer...
VLC-1.jpg
VLC-1.jpg (187.98 KiB) Viewed 156055 times
Lastly is the same basic information (with the exception of the IP address) initially discovered by ONVIF Device Manager now broken down into its individual components as required to be entered into Blue Iris for a camera/dvr/nvr configuration. The main difference will be the Make should be Generic/ONVIF and the Model should initially be set for *RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4 Do not do a Find/Inspect. Enter everything manually.
BI-1.jpg
BI-1.jpg (134.58 KiB) Viewed 156055 times
You can try the GetData.cgi address obtained with IPCamViewer and see what happens. It may just be your lucky day! Otherwise, we need more exploration of the DVR itself. ONVIF Device Manager is highly recommended for doing so and I believe it is multi-lingual software as is VLC Viewer/Player.

Don't hesitate to ask for assistance with ODM or VLC, though they are fairly intuitive for someone who has gone this far with similar tools.
djspot1975

Post by djspot1975 »

Thank you to the previous contributor for your input on the issue I've been facing. I've been trying to work with the ONVIF Manager program, but unfortunately, the devices aren't showing up on the left-hand side among the listed devices. These are cameras and related devices in place. I've attempted manual entry for one, trying various internal addresses and patterns, but without success. I even attempted using Wireshark, yet I couldn't identify any internal addresses.

It's intriguing how easily this device is accessible on Firefox and through the smartphone app IPCamViewer, considering the challenges I'm facing. The ultimate goal is indeed to pinpoint this elusive internal address. Once found, it'll be a satisfying resolution, not just for me but also to alleviate the inconvenience it's causing for my family, who see this DVR with an open lid, among the household items.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

djspot1975 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:25 am I've been trying to work with the ONVIF Manager program, but unfortunately, the devices aren't showing up on the left-hand side among the listed devices.
Are you entering the DVR IP address and login credentials in the appropriate areas? I believe this would be a requirement for non-ONVIF device discovery and analysis by ONVIF Device Manager. Try it.

Again, if Firefox pulls the stream, so should other methods -- particularly methods designed specifically to analyze such activity.
djspot1975

Post by djspot1975 »

Using ONVIF Manager, I can view all the currently installed cameras on the left side, but the DVR doesn't appear. Some cameras allow access with username and password, displaying content, paths, etc. However, when manually entering the DVR addres, nothing appears.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

We would appear to be at the 'blunt force' trial and error phase of the process. LOL

Have you tried the GetData.cgi entry in the Blue Iris path?

Do you receive any response from Blue Iris when simply entering the IP address and login credentials of the DVR and using 'Find/Inspect'? It should at least provide a brief summary of the results indicating whether or not RTSP has been detected.
Find Inspect.jpg
Find Inspect.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 155972 times

As a last resort (and probably the best one), use VLC to begin trying the various stream URLs provided in the iSpy link for Gadspot products.
VLC Open Stream.jpg
VLC Open Stream.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 155972 times

Since the GetData.cgi variant is listed, try that one first. The typical entry would include the user:pass, e.g., http://admin:admin@192.168.1.20/GetData.cgi?Status=0
If not initially included it will be requested later in the process. (Obviously use your own login credentials and IP address.)
URL Entry.jpg
URL Entry.jpg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 155972 times
I would also strongly urge trying Wireshark again using these directions:
https://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... p-url-with

(And it's probably safe to put the lid back on the DVR now!)
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Some clarification to the above reference to the iSpy link probably being confused with the Camalytics link;

They provide essentially the same information with the iSpy link being a bit more thorough. iSpy also promotes their particular software solution as well -- which may be another method of obtaining the necessary path information for Blue Iris. The iSpy link: https://www.ispyconnect.com/camera/gadspot

But even with all of the above being considered for investigation, I'm still slightly skeptical of the DVR's OEM identity falling into the Gadspot ecosystem of firmware programming and streaming parameters. But until we know differently, it's the only game in town.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I even attempted using Wireshark, yet I couldn't identify any internal addresses.
Give Advanced IP Scanner a try and see what it can find. You set the required range and press Scan.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

The address is already known to be 192.168.1.226.

Wireshark needs to be properly set up and implemented to obtain the associated stream link results and was likely not. The link previously provided from Teledyne Flir provides a clear method for doing so.

https://flir.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... p-url-with