Memory leak on version 5.8.0.5

TimG

Re: Memory leak on version 5.8.0.5

Post by TimG »

One of the reasons I experimented turning it off for, was in case CPAI could use it. It was a bonus that cpu load went DOWN when I turned it off. YMMV.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Swanny_221

Post by Swanny_221 »

Was a fix ever found for the memory leak issue? I've been on 5.8.0.14 since it came out and it has seemed stable, but just in the last week I've seen the memory leak several times again. This drives me nuts.

I'm unclear how to troubleshoot what set of factors actually invoke it; it doesn't always happen.

Curious to know how others are getting on.
BI 5.Recent / Dell i7-8700 / 16 GB RAM / SSD Boot drive & Database / 8 TB & 4TB Storage drives / No software installed except Windows 10 & BI
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

In the main and this is my personal experience, hardware acceleration is the first thing to disable to see if that makes a difference.

I did years ago have an issue related to hardware acceleration and the version of the video drivers being used so that is another thing to explore.
Swanny_221

Post by Swanny_221 »

IAmATeaf wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:16 pm In the main and this is my personal experience, hardware acceleration is the first thing to disable to see if that makes a difference.

I did years ago have an issue related to hardware acceleration and the version of the video drivers being used so that is another thing to explore.
Thanks. I did have a few random cameras set to Default hardware decode whereas most of them were set to "No." I checked each camera and methodically set them all to No.

This really is infuriating. Things were fine for a month or more. No changes to the system, no software updates, Windows updates on hold. Then suddenly in the last few days it started constantly doing this. It was doing it all day (I restarted the service this morning) and gradually crept up to 85% RAM.

Is there a good utility to log/graph RAM usage minute by minute over the course of days or weeks? Trying to find patterns.

This morning I updated to the latest stable build.
BI 5.Recent / Dell i7-8700 / 16 GB RAM / SSD Boot drive & Database / 8 TB & 4TB Storage drives / No software installed except Windows 10 & BI
Swanny_221

Post by Swanny_221 »

So, still getting the leak. I'm on the latest stable build and have set all the individual cameras to not use hardware acceleration.

I'm pretty convinced this problem relates to some "state" the PC's Windows gets into, as in the past it would seem to be triggered by pending updates, and would not recur until the system had more updates waiting. But my system is fully up to date as of yesterday for Windows, Drivers, and even the BIOS.
Swanny_221

Post by Swanny_221 »

The last couple of days the memory leak hasn't happened. After about two days of constant trouble, and no changes on my part to either the software or the Windows OS, the problem just stopped happening. My experience suggests it will crop again for no easily identifiable reason.