Older Version Downloads?

acecase

Older Version Downloads?

Post by acecase »

Where can I download older versions?

I have a license for version 4, and I don't really need any version 5 features, but I can't find a legitimate place to download version 4.

People are sharing their copies on Reddit and places like that, but, yeah, no. Surely there is an official download, right?

Edit: 24 hours later.
Guessing, concidering the number of views and the lack of responses, that what I'm asking for doesn't exist.
It's a little sad. BI is a great product, and we want to support the developer, but the licenses are sold as purpetual, which suggests that we are buying a product that we can use as long as we choose to. That being the case, a download for that product, on the official site, is something we should be able to reasonably expect.
TimG

Re: Older Version Downloads?

Post by TimG »

Indeed, but it is up to the Boss - did you email Support and get a negative response ?

FWIW: There are sites on the web that keep older versions of BI5, but they are not official BI sites.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
rdchico

Post by rdchico »

This is not good. When you buy a product it is supposed to be considered bought meaning we are not asking for something free. We spent our hard earned money for the product and it should not a part of paid support. They should have posted a previous versions of the product. I have never seen a company that pushes you to buy a support just to get a download link of the product that you have already bought. I felt scammed.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I’m not too sure why you are expecting BI to keep what is now regarded as a legacy version of the software?

I own a license for Windows NT but last time I looked MS don’t offer a download link for it.

When I purchased BI I downloaded a copy of BI and have that stored so should the need arise and I need to re-install then can do so.

If BI have said no-can-do the best you might be able to do is if somebody here has a copy that they are willing to share?

In terms of buying support, yes I personally don’t agree with that being offered as a solution but that how he chooses to do business.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

rdchico wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:47 am This is not good. When you buy a product it is supposed to be considered bought meaning we are not asking for something free. We spent our hard earned money for the product and it should not a part of paid support. They should have posted a previous versions of the product. I have never seen a company that pushes you to buy a support just to get a download link of the product that you have already bought. I felt scammed.
You want BI to host content for you in case you lose what was sent to you?
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

HeneryH wrote:
rdchico wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:47 am This is not good. When you buy a product it is supposed to be considered bought meaning we are not asking for something free. We spent our hard earned money for the product and it should not a part of paid support. They should have posted a previous versions of the product. I have never seen a company that pushes you to buy a support just to get a download link of the product that you have already bought. I felt scammed.
You want BI to host content for you in case you lose what was sent to you?
Nail hit on head!

It’s like the people who whinge that they can’t find their license key which most probably was emailed over to them as part of the purchase process!
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

IPCT maintains an archive for a reason.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Marcellus wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm It's frustrating when purchasing a product doesn't guarantee access to updates or support without additional fees. Transparency and customer satisfaction should be priorities to avoid feeling misled or exploited.
What is infuriating to developers is when customers demand lifetime access to the developer's talents and resources without paying a penny.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

HeneryH wrote:
Marcellus wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 pm It's frustrating when purchasing a product doesn't guarantee access to updates or support without additional fees. Transparency and customer satisfaction should be priorities to avoid feeling misled or exploited.
What is infuriating to developers is when customers demand lifetime access to the developer's talents and resources without paying a penny.
I personally don’t view being able to download a particular version of the product especially given the licensing model access to developers talents!

Maybe they are accessing their resources in terms of the websites but that is a public facing website so there must be a myriad of people accessing the “resource” who don’t even own BI.