Cameras cannot be managed on next launch of console

louyo

Re: Cameras cannot be managed on next launch of console

Post by louyo »

well, you might want to eyeball the permissions.
Attachments
regperm.png
regperm.png (124.89 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Cyber-Wizard

Post by Cyber-Wizard »

Yeah, that's certainly worth a looksee.
The permissions look correct to me.

It's reasonable to assume that, if the permissions were incorrect, then Blue Iris wouldn't be able to create the required registry entries to add the new cameras.
What I'm experiencing is that it can add the entries and everything works fine but the entries are somehow getting removed a few hours later.
I've recreated those cameras probably 4 or 5 times over the last couple of days. The 2 new cameras were working as of 3AM this morning, as I got a notification of motion detected. I had last added those two cameras yesterday evening so they lasted almost 12 hours. When I took a look at 6AM the alert recordings created at 3AM were still visible (and still are). Sometime between 3AM and 6AM those cameras disappeared. Really bizarre.

louyo

Post by louyo »

gremlins?
out of ideas here.
Cyber-Wizard

Post by Cyber-Wizard »

Yeah, that's where I'm at too.
My only thought is that it's some quirk with the new update I installed. I did jump a lot of versions when I renewed support and updated the software to current.
I figured if that was the case then I would not be alone in what I'm experiencing.
I opted not to contact support as I find most problems are pretty common and just the result of the operator not knowing as much as they think they do, making a forum likely a better resource. Pestering support is usually not necessary.

I suppose I still have a nuclear option. Since the machine has nothing else on it, and I only have 6 cameras then tearing out Blue Iris and reinstalling it all really won't be too big of a deal.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Cyber-Wizard

Post by Cyber-Wizard »

Still tinkering with this. Just documenting it here for anyone who might find my notes useful in the future.

I uninstalled Blue Iris. It's quite nice that after the uninstall the registry entries for the cameras are left behind.
When I reinstalled it again with a freshly downloaded copy, it picked up on the previous camera entries still in the registry.
Also still getting that error on launch about it being unable to delete the registry key to complete import too. I found a forum post about how this was fixed some time ago.

I configured one of my new cameras and saw the registry entry for it created.
I exited Blue Iris and my registry entry stayed there. It wasn't until I relaunched Blue Iris again that the camera entry in the registry was removed.

Weirder and weirder.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Cyber-Wizard wrote:This is sort of interesting.

Blue Iris and Windows have different views on the currently installed version. I realize that Windows shows the version as of installation but it does still feel weird, like something is wrong with permissions.
As the machine is logged into so rarely I would expect any issues with permissions to exist prior to the 5.7.9.7 upgrade that I did a couple of days ago yet I haven't had any issues until then.

This is because the subsequent updates are directly patched into the BI folders so Windows show the version that was installed as it doesn’t know that it has been patched.
Cyber-Wizard

Post by Cyber-Wizard »

After a little trial and error with uninstalling and reinstalling I was able to get it all working again.

I uninstalled Blue Iris and manually went through the registry deleting any reference to Perspective Software and Blue Iris.
There were two registry keys left over from my Blue Iris 4 installation that could not be deleted. The A1 key, as is pretty well documented, and one other that I wasn't smart enough to write down.
Both keys had all the correct permissions at a glance but I had to take full ownership of them in order to get them deleted.

After cleaning those out of the registry, doing a reinstall, and reconfiguring the software and cameras from scratch everything is back to normal.

Thanks again for all of your help.
TimG

Post by TimG »

You just need a cape now :D

It reminds me of that now culled post where I was struggling to get Win11 installed on two pc's that were officially OK for it, but it kept failing part way through. Probably best deleted. Let's pretend I did an excellent job :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.