Hardware / Software Two Different Locations

General discussion about Blue Iris
Dekade

Re: Hardware / Software Two Different Locations

Post by Dekade »

IAmATeaf wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:39 pm If the A12 isn’t capable why still keep it? Why not just move the HDD into the Intel PC?

In terms of BI optimisation, it used to be the case that you needed an Intel CPU of a certain gen and above so that you could enable hardware acceleration but with BI now supporting substreams hardware acceleration is no longer a biggie requirement.

As mentioned, I think it might be case of biting the bullet and offload the A12 if it’s no capable and move on from there?
It's entirely possible that I have not understood the BI5 server configuration and it's deployment; and need to revamp one or the other PC:
  • 1.) I thought I had built a server with the A12 configuration. But I guess it ends up being nothing more than a spare desktop. DARN.
    2.) In regards to the BI5 server maybe I am missing some understanding.
    3.) Question: For interim purpose until I can rebuild the AMD unit --- My current Intel PC is simply
    a basic light use machine. If I did move the 4TB Purple HDD over to the INTEL PC would it be foolish to try to use
    that PC as both a BI5 server and as my light duty workstation???
    4.) NOTE: Intel PC - 4790K 4.00MHz, 32 MB Ram, two graphics cards (so I can run two monitors for comfort and less back
    and forth) and use the PC and changed the OS drive from a 250MB Samsung SSD to a 500 MB SSD as soon as just yesterday.
    Maybe I could bump up the processor and make the unit even beefier to handle two purposes.
    5.) The only thing is as a server / workstation and a 80W processor it would have to run 24/7 and that's a little tough on it and
    not real energy cost effective. But, at the same time two for one.
    6.) If I do all the above am I opening my home network to hackers when I want to remotely use the Intel to log into
    to watch the house via browsers.
So, all that said, are there any negatives or further suggestions? I'll try to keep this thread from getting enormously long.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I am struggling understanding some of the details here due to grammar.

Surely you need a 24x7 cpu/gpu that can host BI and have access to storage.

Server/desktop whatever you want to call it. For what its worth, I would venture a guess that over 95% of us are using consumer grade desktop hardware for our BI machines but many of us use smaller machines that only host BI for multiple reasons (lower power machine up 24x7 for energy savings, easier to isolate on the network for security, etc).

The security question is a big one and can be solved in numerous ways from less to more locked down. I personally expose my BI port 81 through an NGINX reverse proxy that does the port routing.

Some choose more secure VPN solutions.

Some just port forward directly to their BI machine and hope that that machine's Win protections are good.

Other than VPN you are going to get port scans no matter what you do.
Dekade

Post by Dekade »

Thanks forum. We're all on a budget and I'm no exception. I am not even close to the computer/components knowledge of most of you. So, trying to keep this thread from getting annoying.

I agree with this thread's replies and I see the need to get rid of the A12 processor. I have located the following as a strong possibility to replace the current A12 cpu.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5600X- ... 7e17e03685

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 2384vs4084

The rest of the BI5 build currently is comprised of an ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard, with an AM4 socket, 16MB ram, 64 bit Windows 10 Pro OS, 400GB SSD for the BI5 program, and 4TB purple HDD for storage. Will that (plus the Ryzen 5 5600X) be plenty enough to handle BI5, two PTZ cameras, and two stationary low end Amcrest turrets?

The 4790K processor (being compared in userbenchmark.com) is the processor installed in my everyday machine; not the current BI5 server build.

Thanks for your patience on this thread.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Dekade wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:40 pm first concurring the configuring stated in my red typeset OP is my first priority; so as to get it off my mind.
The Dell box is perfectly suitable for your basic initial purpose with an Intel i7 4790 and the WD 4T HDD. Ditch the AMD scenario and additional GPU baggage as neither are recommended or necessary for what you seem to be attempting to accomplish..., at least at the outset. Do it all with the 7020. The rest is just pissing up a rope until you get some basics established.

Now that that's off your mind (LOL), the main issue associated with your original post was indicated to be poor performance and slow response of the PTZ devices around your property. And while much has been suggested about what type of server you should build and why, none of those solutions will necessarily address your PTZ control latency problems.

I'm curious about the existing connectivity to the cameras in question and how they are managed on the network in the first place. Unless I completely missed it, that's what needs to be established before anything else being suggested even matters.
Dekade

Post by Dekade »

I'm curious about the existing connectivity to the cameras in question and how they are managed on the network in the first place. Unless I completely missed it, that's what needs to be established before anything else being suggested even matters.
All cameras are IP POE. Each running into a POE switch connected to an unmanaged 16 port switch then to the router. I will also be installing 2 or 3 interior IP POE's in addition to the 2 exterior turrets and 2 exterior PTZ's that I currently have.

I want the cameras on their own LAN but first have to learn how to set up another LAN on the router. I want the second LAN for security when remotely tying in to watch the camera activity.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Get things working right on your existing LAN and don't worry about elaborate security measures. Just disable any UPNP settings in your router until you can get things up and running effectively. I would personally look at P2P as a simple and relatively secure remote access solution before jumping through too many hoops otherwise -- depending, of course, on what you're using to actually control/manage the cameras -- as in your NVR setup?
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

The simplest way to isolate your cam network from your home network is to install a 2nd network card and the keep all your connected to the 2nd network card.

The 1st network card in the BI PC you connect to your home network.

My POE switch support VLANS and although I do have a cam network VLAN configured I also physically isolate my cam network using the 2 network card method.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

IAmATeaf wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:49 pm The 1st network card in the BI PC you connect to your home network.
Let's start there, shall we? LOL

And is a BI box the only NVR, or is there something else in the mix?

And let's not lose sight of the original complaint of sluggish performance -- particularly PTZ response. As mentioned previously, that already indicates a network and/or powering issue that needs properly addressed before anything else.

Additional info on the basic physical network would be helpful, e.g. cable lengths, connectorization details, POE specs to handle PTZ devices -- all the other things besides the NVR setup that could (and probably are) making his network run poorly. Not much to go on there so far.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Pogo wrote:
IAmATeaf wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:49 pm The 1st network card in the BI PC you connect to your home network.
Let's start there, shall we? LOL

The stage is all yours, knock yourself out.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Pogo: If BI5 was running on the A12 pc, then BI5 may have been seriously lagging due to that (and whatever else was running on that same server pc) and causing the ptz control issues. That really is a weak cpu and the OP had performance issues. I think the first test is to see if BI5 works normally on the i7 cpu on the same network.

Second NIC ? Yes, I do that too. A physically separate CCTV LAN to keep the cameras from slugging my main home LAN. My cameras cannot call the mothership, and my cameras cannot easily be viewed remotely by anybody but me. Ports closed.

Secure remote access ? I now use ZeroTier. Very simple to set up and use, and free. I used to use OpenVPN. It's not very nice.

Now where IS the OP :?:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.