Possible to stream to other software?

muzicman0

Possible to stream to other software?

Post by muzicman0 »

I work for a video wall software company, and we have the ability to take in RTSP, RTP, HTTP, etc streams in our software. I am wondering if it is possible for Blue Iris to re-spawn a camera via RTSP or similar. RTMP and HLS won't work. RTSP would be ideal, but others can work. I looked at the Webcast tab on each camera, but didn't see options that I thought would work. Tried grabbing the HLS URL hoping it would work, but it doesn't. I'm guessing because it requires interaction to actually play the stream.

I believe if the stream will play in VLC (via 'open network stream'), then there is a really good chance it will play in our software.

Any ideas? If I can get this to work, then I can promote it to our customers. Currently we have Milestone and Genetec plugins, but for smaller customers, those VMS's are out of reach. Plus, I would like to use Blue Iris in our offices as well, and it would help me take our existing cameras and use them on our various demo walls without stressing the cameras (by having them send to multiple locations).
TimG

Re: Possible to stream to other software?

Post by TimG »

Hi, the help file states that BI5 can output rtsp streams. You can open the help file from the ? Button, or find it in the Program folder.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 »

Thanks. I found it. For those looking, in the current help file you will find it on page 225. It is under the Administration section, at the end of the 'HTTP Interface' sub-section. It states:
RTSP server
You may request an RTSP stream from your HTTP port as well with the URI format /{cam-
short-name} or /{group-name}. Stream and image parameters may be added just as they are
available for /image. For example: rtsp://yourip:81/index
For some reason, I must have broken it when I was testing, and all web server traffic was being denied. Once I restarted the service, it started working. And I did have to do some magic on the advanced web server section in BI settings to make it work the way I want, but I was able to get it to work using "rtsp://10.3.0.122:81/Loft".
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Does the connecting user need authentication?
muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 »

I set mine up so that authentication wasn't required on the local LAN. That's the only way I could get it to work. I'm sure there is a way to make it work other ways, but for me, this works fine.
muzicman0

Post by muzicman0 »

I should also add that there is significant latency when using this feature. roughly 3 seconds. For most things, that probably won't matter, but some may find it too much. I haven't found a way to reduce it yet.