Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

TimG

Re: Windows 11 requirements - Bit of a shock !

Post by TimG »

I used the official MS hack to bypass the TPM and CPU check on the home desktop which you have to do in order to do an in place upgrade.
Must resist... Don't add that registry key. Darn it... Don't download Win11. Urrgghhhh. And that's before I open a bottle of pop :lol:

BI5 is running on an i7-8700k now with a Z370 mobo, so Win 11 was just an upgrade on that one. Over Christmas I have retired my previous i5-3330 BI5 pc and my AMD FX-8350 media server, and now have the Ryzen 1800x media server back on the projector. That mobo (X370) has a firmware TPM, but the cpu is too old for the Win11 check. I could swap the 1800x for a 2700x, but is it really worth the cost and the faff ? I have done the registry tweak, now I just need to see if I can resist the temptation to install Win11. I must say that MS appear to be stating that you CAN do the tweak, but they MAY prevent you from getting any future updates. Ho hum.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I think what they are trying to say is we got it overly wrong, didn’t expect this amount of backlash, here’s how to upgrade but you are now on your own

I remember years ago going to a MS invitation only seminar in Reading about Windows RIS (Remote Installation Service) and they boasted that even the receptionists could network boot and deploy Windows to their desktop. I pointed out that in a large corporate environment that was the last thing that was wanted or required and their response was why not? They just didn’t understand how large corporates with a large number of seats work where stability and security takes priority over the latest and greatest.

Didn’t they also do something similar with an Xbox where they were forced to make an emergency u-turn?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Logic would dictate that they started by finding out what their customer requirements were :lol:

OK, backing up ProjectorPC. I may be gone a while...
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I used a method to make a Windows 11 MCT H21H2, that installs on ANY computer TPM or not. Tested in a VirtualBox VM. Works great.

It's very simply method. Anyone Interested?
TimG

Post by TimG »

I think I'm going to leave it for a while. The registry tweak did the trick, but when I started the Win11 installation I saw a MS warning that the cpu is not supported, and so all updates will be witheld - press OK if you accept this and installation will begin. Erm nope :roll:
Forum Moderator.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

@TimG are you considering upgrading your BI PC?

That thought to upgrade mine did cross my mind but I resisted due to reading the same message re security updates when I upgraded the home PC. Thankfully the sensible side of mind kicked in as I’d prefer to keep the BI PC as reliable as possible but I did go as far as creating the reg key
TimG

Post by TimG »

@TimG are you considering upgrading your BI PC?
No, it was my ProjectorPC with the Ryzen 1800x that fails the Win11 cpu check. I could swap the 1800x for a 2700x and that would pass, but as I said earlier, what a faff. And a few hundred ££'s as I built two of those pc's. At least it's running the latest BIOS now.

BI5 is running on "TimServer" on a Z370 mobo with the i7-8700K which passed all the MS Win11 checks. That pc was my Xmas present from/to myself, and it replaced the two older servers. Came with Win10 on a SSD, but I changed that to Win11 on a NVME. The original SSD became the "New" SSD for BI5, and I added a 14TB and a 4TB "Stored" drive. 8-)

I need a rest.
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

This post is spam and should be removed: https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... =10#p11661

The poster is using the signature field to include his spammy link: "Do you know about https://computools.com/chatbot-development-services/?"
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
kimaelii

Post by kimaelii »

If you aren't aware, Windows 11 requires at least a 7th-generation Intel Core or AMD Ryzen 2nd generation processor along with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, TPM 2.0, support for Secure Boot. The only reason Microsoft had ever provided behind such strict requirements is the enhanced security for the operating system.
SolarEclipse

Post by SolarEclipse »

kimaelii wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:21 pm If you aren't aware, Windows 11 requires at least a 7th-generation Intel Core or AMD Ryzen 2nd generation processor along with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, TPM 2.0, support for Secure Boot. The only reason Microsoft had ever provided behind such strict requirements is the enhanced security for the operating system.
Out of 1 desktop and 3 laptops only 1 laptop in the house is eligible for W11 and is now running it. I haven't found anything "wow" about it. Just another O/S.
Fortunately, W10 will keep plugging away on the other 3 computers until they break as I'm long past the have to have a new computer every few years phase of my life. One of the laptops and the desktop have 3rd gen i7s, so pretty old, and yet still working.