Zero Tier instead of OpenVPN?

General discussion about Blue Iris
TrunkMonkey

Zero Tier instead of OpenVPN?

Post by TrunkMonkey »

Has anyone used Zero Tier instead of Open VPN for secure remote access to your BI server?

I've been playing around with Zero Tier for possibly establishing remote access to my BI server but have not yet spent enough time to get it working yet.
My plan is to use the UI3 web UI, BI app or TinyCam Pro to connect to my BI server only as I don't need remote access into any other device on my network.

Here's a video on configuring Zero Tier for RDS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZShna7v77xc

Zero Tier website: https://www.zerotier.com/

Has anyone already configured access using Zero Tier and has some insight on what Windows firewall rules need to be enabled or other settings for BI app connectivity?

Thanks
TimG

Re: Zero Tier instead of OpenVPN?

Post by TimG »

If it works it looks easier than OpenVpn. I tried to help Thixotropic set that up, but it's seriously hard work to get going.

So if you get this going, and if it is secure, please tell us more. Did he mention it's free :o
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I hadn't heard of ZeroTier but I watched the video and looked a bit on the website and it does look pretty simple and decent to use. I think possibly the most complicated part of it would just be that the client adds a new interface (with associated IP address) to your BI system and the software would need to listen on that interface. Once the BI system and your remote system (phone, other computer, etc) are running ZeroTier, joined to same "network ID" and authorized, you should just be able to connect as usual to the ZeroTier IP address of your BI system.

Windows FW on your BI system COULD be an issue but if the software is correctly attached to the interface, I *think* it would be automatically done for you. That said, Windows FW has always been a confusing annoyance to me. At least for testing purposes I'd disable it to see if it's causing an issue. If re-enabling it stops the connection(s), then you gotta figure out a rule and we can go from there.

I've already got a solution working on my end so I don't want to install this to play with it BUT without having what I have, this looks like a great and pretty simple solution.

EDIT: My one caution, though without trying is not based on much, is if installing ZeroTier on a mobile device becomes a huge battery suck. It may, in which case to me would be a deal breaker. But maybe it's not.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
TrunkMonkey

Post by TrunkMonkey »

I'll try to play around more with it this week and if it works to address my needs, I'll thoroughly document it as it pertains to BI remote connectivity.
Strela101

Post by Strela101 »

I've recently started using Zero Tier, it's possible to access the server without any significant hassle.