Issues with Alerts storage and accessibility Post CPAI Implementation

Sardon

Issues with Alerts storage and accessibility Post CPAI Implementation

Post by Sardon »

I'm currently facing yet another situation with my setup, specifically regarding how alerts are being managed and stored following the implementation of CPAI. I'm hoping to gain some insights or solutions from those who might have experienced similar issues or have a deep understanding of the inner workings.

Issue Summary:

After integrating CPAI into my setup, I've noticed that the alerts and how they're stored have become quite perplexing. I have multiple cameras set up, some of which are designated for CPAI use and others not. Interestingly, the management and storage of alerts seem to diverge significantly based on this distinction.

Details:

1. Non-CPAI Camera Alerts: For one of my internal apartment cameras, which I've opted not to use CPAI, alerts spanning an entire month which are accessible via the alerts tab are not stored in the designated alert folder. It seems these alerts might be embedded within the .BVR files, with reference points in the database file, as there are no physical alert files to be found elsewhere, I've double checked.

2. CPAI Camera Alerts: Conversely, for cameras utilising CPAI, I observe a different storage behaviour. With a 5GB limit set for alerts ( I think this is way too little of an amount), only about 4/5 days' worth of alerts are visible in the alert tab per CPAI enabled camera. The breakdown of storage usage appears to be heavily skewed towards the .dat files (over 4.3GB), with images taking up around 700MB.
alerts-tab-sbs.jpg
alerts-tab-sbs.jpg (70.96 KiB) Viewed 556 times
3. Storage and Accessibility Concerns: I have configured Blue Iris to move the alert files to E:\Stored when they exceed 30 days or 5GB. Upon inspection, this E:\stored folder contains over 22,000 .jpg "Alert" JPG files. However, these images aren't accessible via the alerts tab, raising questions about their accessibility and management or even their purpose at this stage.

Here is the folder and file usage below:
alert-sbs [2].jpg
alert-sbs [2].jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 556 times

Questions:
  • Why are non-CPAI camera alerts not stored in the alert folder, and is my assumption about their storage within .BVR files correct?
  • I'd like to retain more than 5 days worth of alerts including the .dat files to say at least a minimum of two weeks to 30 days worth, and as I am now aware these .dat files consume a significant portion of the alert storage space, so is there a way to manage this more efficiently?
  • Most importantly, after the alert storage exceeds either the 30-day limit or the 5GB storage limit, images are automatically moved to E:\Stored. However, these images are not accessible through the alerts tab, which significantly impacts my ability to review past alerts. How can I ensure that all alerts, regardless of their storage location, remain accessible via the alerts tab? Just seems very odd they are being moved but if not accessible then what's the point ?
  • In addition, I've noticed that when the 5GB limit is reached—predominantly due to the .dat files consuming the majority of this allocation—only the JPG files are moved to E:\Stored. The .dat files, which represent a substantial portion of the data, do not seem to be relocated in tandem with the JPGs. This not only limits the storage efficiency but also raises questions about the management of these files. Why are the .dat files not being moved along with the JPGs, and is there a way to ensure that both types of files are managed appropriately to maximise storage utilisation and maintain seamless access to CPAI analysis alert data whilst alert data via the tab is readily available?
  • Finally, given the new options in Blue Iris for managing storage, which have appeared after I installed the latest update, which setup should I use: Managed folder on a shared drive, managed folder on an unmanaged drive, or a managed folder on an exclusive-use drive?, I'm included to change all to use of exclusive drive, as it is exclusive?
storage-AIO.jpg
storage-AIO.jpg (23.72 KiB) Viewed 556 times
I've attempted to troubleshoot these issues with the settings available and by reviewing documentation, but so far, I haven't found a clear path forward.

These issues present significant challenges in managing and accessing alert data efficiently, especially in a high-alert environment. I'm keen to hear if anyone has encountered similar problems or has insights on potential resolutions. Your advice on how to address these concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Regards
SN
TimG

Re: Issues with Alerts storage and accessibility Post CPAI Implementation

Post by TimG »

I hope I have mentioned previously that you need to turn off DAT files when not required, as they will fill up the Alerts folder. Following that you can delete the DAT files and your Alerts will then get stored normally. I found out the hard way too :(
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.