Local and Remote Blue Iris and Home Assistant

General discussion about Blue Iris
SafariLodge

Local and Remote Blue Iris and Home Assistant

Post by SafariLodge »

This questions concerns integrating Blue Iris in HOME ASSISTANT.

I have two Blue Iris Servers - one at my residence and one at a remote property. At each of the locations I have an Intel NUC running Blue Iris.

At the remote location, I utilize TAILSCALE to be able to remotely access the Blue Iris Server. I can utilize the Tailscale address to view these remote cameras on my iPhone using the Blue Iris App.

Back to Home Assistant ... I have the Blue Iris Integration installed in Home Assistant. I can access the local Blue Iris Server since it is on the same network as my Home Assistant Raspberry Pi.

Has anyone successfully accessed a REMOTE Blue Iris server using Home Assistant and Tailscale?

Thank you for your feedback!
TimG

Re: Local and Remote Blue Iris and Home Assistant

Post by TimG »

The lack of responses usually means nobody has tried this. I guess the answer to your question depends on how the Home Assistant plug in is communicating with BI5. I use ZeroTier here with Homeseer HS4 and BI5 and my mobile phone, and did have an issue with Homeseer mcsMQTT over ZeroTier which was cured by using Mosquito MQTT which works fine over ZeroTier. Can you explain a bit more ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
SafariLodge

Post by SafariLodge »

For my local server … I simply use the IP address of the Blue Iris server (I have a username Home Assistant and password in Blue Iris). For the remote server, Tailscale provides two IP addresses … 100.118.xxx.5, for example and safari-farm.tail6xxxx.ts.net for example. If I use either of the ip addresses with a valid username and password - the Blue Iris Integration in Home Assistant will not connect to the remote server. I get an invalid IP address error.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I can't add anything here. If there are no responses are you able to email Support ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.