Can someone explain how this great thing happened?

bigbillsd

Can someone explain how this great thing happened?

Post by bigbillsd »

I just moved most of my BI recorded cameras to a new VLAN (and new IP subnet) and BI kept recording them and now the Network IP string is updated with the new addresses in each camera I moved. How the heck did that happen? I did NOT edit that string in there. Its Awesome, but I guessed I needed an hour to figure out each cameras new IP address and edit the BI Camera string for each. But I didn have to. I cannot explain that. I have been doing networks since before Twisted Pair was a thing. I remember when Lattisnet came out and we setup a test network to see how it worked. Ethernet was thicknet with Vampire taps and mostly our cheap customers we setup on arcnet.

I cannot explain how BI figured out the new addresses of all those cameras. Again, it was GREAT! But How? I did move the BI server to the new VLAN too. Im impressed, but bewildered too.. -Bill
S&B:BI 5.8.0.16 W11pro-23H2,16 Reolink RLC-410 5MP, 4 E1PRO 4MP, 1 RLC-823A-16X,DELL T-40,E-2224G CPU,24 GB,3 @ WD Blue 6TB HD.
RV:BI 5.8.0.16,W11pro-23H2,4 Wyzecam v2 RTSP,NUC I-5-8259U CPU,16 GB RAM
TimG

Re: Can someone explain how this great thing happened?

Post by TimG »

Too late now in the UK, but I think it's because it knows the MAC addresses, and so (re)finds the cameras that way.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Basically, yes. It can follow the MAC, etc., by default once it knows the cameras. This can also be defeated if desired. This comes in particularly handy for cameras located behind a bridge or AP that do not provide LAN wide MAC address exposure for their associated devices. Blue Iris will typically assign (or try to) the ip address associated with whatever preceding device is obscuring the actual MAC addresses behind it.
bigbillsd wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:45 pm I did move the BI server to the new VLAN too. Im impressed, but bewildered too.. -Bill
Just be happy you didn't wake up one morning with all the cameras behind a bridge having new IP addresses in their BI configurations while still retaining their actual assigned addresses and otherwise functioning just fine on the network. :shock:

That one took a while to register, but I recognized the initial IP address change as that of the bridge and it then started making sense.

Skip Reachability.jpg
Skip Reachability.jpg (136.2 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
bigbillsd

Post by bigbillsd »

Interesting. Now that I go look thru some of my camera settings, some have that checked, others do not. Oh Boy Oberto...
S&B:BI 5.8.0.16 W11pro-23H2,16 Reolink RLC-410 5MP, 4 E1PRO 4MP, 1 RLC-823A-16X,DELL T-40,E-2224G CPU,24 GB,3 @ WD Blue 6TB HD.
RV:BI 5.8.0.16,W11pro-23H2,4 Wyzecam v2 RTSP,NUC I-5-8259U CPU,16 GB RAM
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

The major aspect I negelected to point out in my particular case was the reason it happened -- which was due to a power/network interruprion only affecting the bridged cameras, hence the BlueIris 'auto-correction' of the camera IP address(es) even though they were all static in the cameras and working properly on the rest of the network. This is one example of skipping the reachability scan being applicable.

BTW, Interesting array of fun in your sig line. How is the 822A working out for you? And are the 410s and E1s all individual instances on the LAN or are they on a NVR(s) and handed off to BI that way?