Mobile App - Fails to Update

Tommyt57

Post by Tommyt57 »

My ISP frequently changed my Blue Iris servers IP (once a day is common.) Not a biggie for me, but my Android app does not like it. I have to manually stop the logon and select EDIT to force an update of the "GET IPS" to get my IP address to update.

So... Is this normal? Or what can I do to get the app to check each time I open it for a new WAN IP?

Thanks!!!!!!
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

What I do is register with dynu.net, create an account and register a dns name.

Then use their guide on how to regularly update that dns name from within your home network. I personally have a cron job setup in my router but there is also a windows client that they provide that can do the same.

Then in the BI app just use the dns name that you created and registered to connect to your BI. If setup correctly then this will work for connections via ipv4 and ipv6 assuming your ISP/mobile carrier supports ipv6 addressing.
TimG

Re: Mobile App - Fails to Update

Post by TimG »

Alternatively I use ZeroTier and have a virtual (and private) LAN connection between devices. ZT sorts out ddns issues too.

Many other methods exist. If you have an Asus router it's ready to sort a free ddns address for you.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Re: Mobile App - Fails to Update

Post by IAmATeaf »

True, you can also use Tailscale to do something similar to Zerotier to get access to BI remotely.

Does Zerotier give you alert images? I have Tailscale installed and notice that when running via their VPN I no longer get images with alerts on my phone.