Cheap PTZ Cameras

steve0

Cheap PTZ Cameras

Post by steve0 »

I know I would not expect too much from these PTZ camera but really for the price one might be good just for fun. Opinions ? There are 2 I was considering ... as I say it more for fun than anything serious.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20368539384 ... %3A2047675

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36X-Optical ... 3893222095
YrbkMgr

Re: Cheap PTZ Cameras

Post by YrbkMgr »

For me, those are unknown and insecure client devices that represent a serious vulnerability to my LAN. I view them as cheap devices of unknown pedigree dumped into a market, not sold to that market. Personally, I don't like bringing something that sketchy into my setup.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Fair point although that claim could be made for so many products, including Android phones or even Windows 10 !

You could always watch it for a while with Wireshark and setup a static IP without a gateway (or give a false gateway) address.

30x Zoom ! Imagine it !

Cheers
Steve
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Well, it boils down to making informed decisions. You know about it and decide if you give a hoot. A ton of people don't worry about it. For me, if I've got 4 potential risks with echo and home and firestv stick... doesn't make sense to add more - open the door and say I don't care. For me.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
TimG

Post by TimG »

I say go for it, but protect yourself. I keep my cameras on a second LAN with no internet access (Second NIC on BI5 pc). They can't call the Mothership :lol:

If you decide to try them, let us know how well they work 8-)
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Like my mother always said... that's why they make 33 flavors of ice cream.