cars, people etc.. vanish and reappear in clips

IAmATeaf

Re: cars, people etc.. vanish and reappear in clips

Post by IAmATeaf »

TimG wrote:
It’s almost like 2 videos from differing times being overlayed.
Agreed. I am viewing on a 120" projector screen. At the start of the video, I can see a dark car begin to emerge from behind the yellow shop front at the top right of the image, and it disappears and re-appears at the same time as the truck.
Never noticed that before, good spot but I was viewing on my phone.

I wonder if it’s related to substreams? Reason I mention that is that I’ve seen the live image when viewing in the BI console momentarily blip up an old stream for a few milliseconds if that cam hasn’t been live streamed for ages. So in my case I clicked on a cam to full screen it and I momentarily saw the substream of a night time stream which presumably was the last time that that cam had been viewed.
fdc

Post by fdc »

IAmATeaf
Is the cam cloned?
I'm not entirely sure what that means in this context ( I mean I know what cloning is but unsure why / how I would clone a camera). So I'm going to say that to my knowledge , it is not. This is a very basic "just record all the time" system I have set up. It ran with no real issues for years on BI v4.

IAmATeaf
I wonder if it’s related to substreams?
Ok now this might be something. I'm very very far from being an expert or even armature BI user. I googled and got my cams working years ago in BI v4 and really never touched it again for many years and only recently upgraded the server / software to BI v5. I understand some basics of what a substream is and what it's used for. ANyway.. when I first started looking into this a few days ago I do remember seeing a setting that said something to the effect of should it record / write to disc the substream along with the main stream. It was set to also record the sub stream and I turned that off (because I couldn't come up with a reason I would want the substream recorded) . So maybe I fixed it ... The thing is I pretty much have to just set and watch the video and see if something vanishes. I originally only noticed this because the someone went to look at and see who had left some screws in the parking lot and noticed someone walking across the parking lot vanishing and reappearing on the other side. They gave me an "about" time and assumed I had a problem with the drives or something and parts were being skipped / not recorded but then I just chanced across the cat / truck thing that made it clear it wasn't just the video skipping.

IAmATeaf
What is the fps and iframe set to, in the cam status page in BI it should hover at around 1 else it might cause issues but I’ll be honest I’ve never seen anything like the clip you’ve posted. It’s almost like 2 videos from differing times being overlayed.
I dont' know what iframe is but I will look into this when I get back to the office.
fdc

Post by fdc »

TimG
I can see a dark car begin to emerge from behind the yellow shop front at the top right of the image, and it disappears and re-appears at the same time as the truck.
Well I never noticed the car at the top but I do see when I slow it down that the cat's back legs / butt vanish for a few frames when truck first vanishes and then when the truck reappears something goofy happens with the area around the cat.

When I first found it I thought it looked like someone did some kind of photoshop voodoo there (but not an option as no access or reason). I agree with the two streams idea ( I mean it obviously looks like two videos being meshed together) and I believe it was recording both streams (something I only just found/turned off a few days ago when I still thought this was due to the HD array not being fast enough and some video not getting recorded). So maybe a playback bug where it pulls part of the frame from the substream when both streams recorded but not sure why or how since the truck should be in the substream also ( I mean the cat was).
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Try this: During playback, right click and toggle "Use sub stream if available" on and off. Does the truck disappear regardless of which you use?

Open the Status window --> Camera tab. Post a screenshot.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I think both streams would have the truck - just at a different resolution.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

TimG wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:11 pm I think both streams would have the truck - just at a different resolution.
Before my cameras were optimized I experienced jumps like that and I could reproduce it by toggling sub stream on playback. Hey, just a suggestion.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

YrbkMgr wrote:
TimG wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:11 pm I think both streams would have the truck - just at a different resolution.
Before my cameras were optimized I experienced jumps like that and I could reproduce it by toggling sub stream on playback. Hey, just a suggestion.
That is really unusual, I’ve tested substreams on my rig and can’t say I’ve ever seen the issue shown here.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

IAmATeaf wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:44 am That is really unusual, I’ve tested substreams on my rig and can’t say I’ve ever seen the issue shown here.
I dunno - it strikes me as reasonable. I'm betting that you know way more about this subject than me - you probably have had your cameras configured correctly for some time. But the way I understand it... if your main stream is crap, but your sub stream is perfect, it's reasonable expect better performance with the sub stream - I can't see how it couldn't affect playback. Regardless of whether I've lost the plot or not, I can't think of a reason to ignore it or any harm that comes from looking at it.

Below is a camera status window when I first installed my third IPC - the garage, before any attempts at optimizing anything in the camera firmware. Note the FPS/Key Frames reported by BI.
Camera Status Window 10-25-2021 WiFi.JPG
Camera Status Window 10-25-2021 WiFi.JPG (79.09 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
This is the status window after optimizing.
Camera Status Window 10-29-2021 - Ethernet.JPG
Camera Status Window 10-29-2021 - Ethernet.JPG (98.42 KiB) Viewed 2112 times
I can reproduce an anomaly similar to the OP by enabling/disabling sub stream playback on clips from the date of the first image. I'm not saying that the rooster's crow causes the sunrise, I'm just saying that it seems to me that playback is affected by the stream settings and might be worth looking into.
fdc

Post by fdc »

YrbkMgr wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:01 pm Try this: During playback, right click and toggle "Use sub stream if available" on and off. Does the truck disappear regardless of which you use?

Open the Status window --> Camera tab. Post a screenshot.
Well in the process of trying to fix this I changed the combine/cut time from 12hrs (40GB) to 4hrs (40GB) and as a result my 10TB storage now only holds 1 months of recordings instead of just over 2 (so I lost that clip). I'll have to wait and see if the people that use the system report any more "things just vanish) events.

That said, here is the camera status page:
camerastats.png
camerastats.png (169.63 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
stats4nerds.png
stats4nerds.png (177.92 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
TimG

Post by TimG »

So all of your keyframes are low, but camera 4 is the worst. Which camera showed the truck ?

I also note you don't have sub-streams showing up on any camera.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.