My server PC

tynavarre

Re: My server PC

Post by tynavarre » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Right now I am running BI on an Intel NUC (i7) along with PLEX and am finding the limits of what the CPU can handle. With 7 cameras of various resolutions and only recording when triggered, my CPU use for BI stands at about 40-60 percent even after all the settings to keep proc use in check. I am probably going to either split out my PLEX and BI servers into separate boxes or just build a new home server, I have not decided which.

Anyway, I really came to chime in on the virtualization thing: I deal with this kind of infrastructure a lot and I think it should be able to run BI. HOWEVER, with the way BI was written, with an affinity for certain Intel and NVIDIA hardware, its not something that a virtual environment can generally take advantage of without expensive licensing and other stuff. For that reason, in a nutshell, BI will work just fine but it will never be as efficient as it could be running on its own dedicated hardware.

spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:50 am

tynavarre wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:25 pm
Right now I am running BI on an Intel NUC (i7) along with PLEX and am finding the limits of what the CPU can handle. With 7 cameras of various resolutions and only recording when triggered, my CPU use for BI stands at about 40-60 percent even after all the settings to keep proc use in check. I am probably going to either split out my PLEX and BI servers into separate boxes or just build a new home server, I have not decided which.

Anyway, I really came to chime in on the virtualization thing: I deal with this kind of infrastructure a lot and I think it should be able to run BI. HOWEVER, with the way BI was written, with an affinity for certain Intel and NVIDIA hardware, its not something that a virtual environment can generally take advantage of without expensive licensing and other stuff. For that reason, in a nutshell, BI will work just fine but it will never be as efficient as it could be running on its own dedicated hardware.
If your a plex pass user, Plex uses the GPU and minimal resources. I have an i7 NUC and plex barely raises a mention. With the i7 NUC (not the skull), keep in-mind the CPU is no where near as powerful as you would typically expect in a desktop. (Still great machine though). Don't be alarmed at the high-cpu, you may often see high-cpu with little load (CPU's, and especially the i7) in the NUC slow the CPU core speed down, and ramp up only when required.
So unless you also have a high-clock rate in task manager coinciding with the high\cpu, I wouldn't worry about stressing the box.
The i7 NUC shares the same cooling solution as the i5, so the fan noise can be offputting, but nowhere near as loud as my old Swann NVR FAN!!! That was like being in a server room.

CBers

Post by CBers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 am

I have a self-built server that runs my Emby media server and BI5.

I use DriveBender pooling software to have separate pools for each set of discs.

Emby has a 20Tb pool and BI5 has an 11Tb pool.

The server only has an i5-7400 with 40Gb RAM, but it runns pretty well.

The BI5 pool has 6 cameras continually recording and provides around 11 days history.

I want to move BI5 to an second-hand SuperMicro server, but I need to buy more drives first.

All in all, BI5 is working well for me.

I have also had a run-in with the "child" on the IPCamTalk forums, so much so, that he banned me !!
Last edited by CBers on Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeneryH

Post by HeneryH » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:11 pm

It really doesn't take much at all to get banned.