Bad Switch?

General discussion about Blue Iris
IAmATeaf

Re: Bad Switch?

Post by IAmATeaf » Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 am

TimG wrote:
HP 2530 POE+ switch, managed to snag one on FB for the princely sum of £20 collected plus around £10-15 in petrol
Crikey, I just looked on Ebay and they are a lot more than that normally. I'm going to need something like that when I move house since I have that box of Dahua ptz's. Hmm...
Got to admit that £35 it was a bit of a bargain which is why I dropped everything jumped in my car and told the seller I’ll be there in an hour even though it wasn’t really convenient for him.

Just keep an eye out and if like me you’re not in a hurry then something will come along.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic » Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm

After a bit of escalation (and a heartfelt promise to burn them to the ground in the Amazon comments section), the seller agreed to do an out-of-warranty no-cost replacement.

I'm still going to look for a better replacement switch and at this point I can't recommend BV-Tech gear under any circumstances (unless you get it for free).
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf » Sat May 08, 2021 9:24 pm

When I got my TrendNet POE switch I was tempted by BV-Tech as the specs and price meant that I could get it new for the around the same price as my second hand TrendNet but I read a lot of reviews about failures, especially ports failing after only a few months of use so opted for the second hand TrendNet in the end.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic » Sun May 09, 2021 3:22 pm

IAmATeaf wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:24 pm When I got my TrendNet POE switch I was tempted by BV-Tech as the specs and price meant that I could get it new for the around the same price as my second hand TrendNet but I read a lot of reviews about failures, especially ports failing after only a few months of use so opted for the second hand TrendNet in the end.
Yep, I should have read deeper into the comments, that's my bad for not doing so. Usually price isn't a limiting factor for me (within reason) but at the same time I don't like to spend unnecessarily so I look for the best price/performance I can. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

In hindsight I should have just bought a better brand like Netgear, Trendnet, or HP, but sometimes you don't know until after the fact.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:35 pm

I'm using Ubiquiti products personally and overall I'd have to say I'm pretty happy with the hardware. Especially if you want to explore getting into some fun, more advanced networking concepts - without being a CLI guru (it's 99.5% all GUI based), I'd generally recommend them. Some of the hardware can be a bit pricey, it's a prosumer/low commercial grade product that attempts to compete with the likes of Cisco while being FAR cheaper than them. I currently am running:

24port Gen1 Switch
16port Gen1 PoE 150W Switch
8port PoE powered Switch (can also be powered via USB)
5port PoE powered Switch (also USB option - called the "Flex Mini"
plus two old, now EoL access points - stable but I'm probably looking to upgrade in the future

I definitely didn't buy all of this at the same time, it's been a slow build over the years. The hardware, other than one time the 8port needing a hard reboot - and some quirks with the "Flex Mini", has been rock solid for me. It gives me the option to easily do vlans, port aggregation, link monitoring, Guest WiFi portals (you can even configure to require payment, lol), PoE power monitoring, etc. My current PoE load is 27.17W, though some of my cameras are temporarily adapter powered until they are more permanently mounted.

The only real discussion point in my ~6 years experience with them is the Network Controller (interestingly found out this morning renamed to "Network Application"). It's completely free software that can run on pretty much anything. They do offer "Cloud Key" hardware appliances that can do it, it could run on a RaspberryPi, or in my case it's quite easy to just run the application in Windows on my BI server (takes VERY little resources). That is the great part, it's pretty attractive in appearance, runs for free, etc. The downside is over the last couple of years Ubiquiti has become increasingly progressive in their software lifecycles (rapid though not 'Ken' rapid) and often times promote versions to Stable while the beta forums are full of reported issues - though these are in corners that don't affect me. They've made a push to update the UI in ways that many aren't happy with - over simplification and a dumbing down of the advanced capabilities. I'm still running on a stable but older version of the controller but by devices are on the latest firmware.

Overall, I DO like their product and imagine I won't go anywhere else anytime soon. I will probably upgrade my APs before the end of the year with new Ubiquiti products and not vendor hop, but I do wish they'd get a better vision/direction on their controller.... sorry, now it's an "application".

Below is a sample of some of the information I can see in the controller. I did look it up and the 16port PoE switch I have runs about $300.... so while feature rich, it's WAY more expensive than the bargain IAmATeaf got. I've seen it for about half that used on EB but it is what it is. I originally bought in so I could do the advanced stuff and have it all controlled through one single interface (kinda like having all my cameras go to one unified server/controller)!
2021-05-10_08-28-19.jpg
2021-05-10_08-28-19.jpg (136.46 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Blue Iris 5.4.7.x | Server 2019 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 3x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 2x SV3C 3MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
TimG

Post by TimG » Sun May 16, 2021 8:35 am

That makes me feel like a kid staring through the window of the sweet shop at all the goodies I can't afford :lol:

Hey Thixotropic, are you up and running again ?
BI5 v54711 x64 | Win10 21H1 | Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Foscam R2, Ertech 4MP, Neos2, 2 SD cams | BI5:1 i5-3330, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 2 HSPhone, TVMosaic | BI5:2 Ryzen 1800X, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 4, Emby, DVBViewer.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf » Sun May 16, 2021 12:33 pm

I’ve read plenty of good things about Ubiquiti but there are plenty of bargains to be had on FB marketplace the only thing is you need to bide your time and not need things urgently.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic » Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 pm

TimG wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:35 am Hey Thixotropic, are you up and running again ?
I have the new switch but haven't taken the time to swap it. It's a 5-minute job but I have a condition called Incipiente pigritia (incipient laziness) and my doctor says there is no cure. I'll probably get to it later today. Or tomorrow.

Also, I've decided it's about time for me to blow away my current, crufty Windows instance on the BI box and slam a fresh copy of Windows on it. As I understand it, I need to:
  1. Save/export the BI registry entries
  2. Deactivate BI in the BI interface
  3. Nuke the PC
  4. Reinstall Windows, run Debloater, etc etc
  5. Reinstall BI
  6. Reactivate the BI license
  7. Import the BI registry entries saved in Step 1
Am I missing anything there? Seems like that should be it, unless I'm forgetting something.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf » Sun May 16, 2021 5:33 pm

LOL must be catching as I too suffer from a similar condition Replaced my 2 front driveway cams with some newer 4Mp Dahua 5442 cams and a month later I still haven’t got round to readjusting one to provide better coverage.
TimG

Post by TimG » Sat May 22, 2021 10:55 am

Hey Thixotropic,

Having two POE switches will allow you to sort out the dual NIC without breaking your existing camera network.

Something simple...
BI5 v54711 x64 | Win10 21H1 | Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Foscam R2, Ertech 4MP, Neos2, 2 SD cams | BI5:1 i5-3330, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 2 HSPhone, TVMosaic | BI5:2 Ryzen 1800X, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 4, Emby, DVBViewer.