BT full fibre static address problems

papagray1706

BT full fibre static address problems

Post by papagray1706 »

help, just moved to bt new full fibre hub 2 delivered and setup yesterday, and i found a problem the ip addresses cannot be changed there is no facility to use static ip address for cameras, they only allow dhcp usage, can anyone advise how i can setup my ten monitoring cameras that my wife uses to check on my health as i am disabled in a wheelchair, all works with virgin no problems alas cannot get it to work with BT new hub, is there a workaround that blue iris can monitor dhcp cameras constantly changing the ip i saw nothing in the setup if i have missed it please guide me to it and i apologise now and say very sorry please if anyone has a workaround this problem please let me know will have to go back to virgin was looking forward to 1 gig speeds!
TimG

Re: BT full fibre static address problems

Post by TimG »

Hi, that would be a weird router if it didn't let you use static IP addresses. Could it be hidden in an "Advanced" menu ?

I don't think BI5 will work properly with DHCP cameras, so it's research time:

1. If this is the "Smart Hub 2" then I believe it has a DHCP window of 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253. Can you check if this is correct ?
2. If your cameras have a true static IP rather than an address reservation in the router, then I think you can safely use static IP's between 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.63 on the cameras themselves.

So, if you know the DHCP window (May be called DHCP pool) then you can choose static IP addresses that are not inside that window. If you previously used the router address reservation (which may have left the actual cameras in DHCP mode), then you will have to change each camera to the new static IP.

Enjoy the 1 gig speed :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Re: BT full fibre static address problems

Post by TimG »

To be clear, the router doesn't have to do anything clever if you use static IP addresses in the cameras:

1. My cameras are connected to a second NIC on the BI5 pc which has a static address of 10.0.0.1
2. There is no modem/router for this network. Just an unmanaged POE ethernet switch to connect the cameras.
3. The cameras have static IP addresses 10.0.0.2 and onwards.
4. I use these addresses in BI5.
5. It works !

All I am saying is that there doesn't need to be anything specific in the router settings to make static IP addresses work. Many people do use address reservation in the router, but that can bite you when you replace the router. I changed my router from Sky to Virgin a couple of years ago, and the only thing I had to do was alter the LAN address to the same as before (Plus rename wifi networks/passwords to same as before).
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.