Getting Lag on HD Stream but not SD view

Tenetri

Getting Lag on HD Stream but not SD view

Post by Tenetri »

The computer I built has 4x 1080p wifi-only cameras streaming over RTSP to Blue Iris. The Cameras show 100% signal strength, and 0% packet loss for multiple days use. The Standard definition streams view and record perfectly. The HD Stream has lag 3-4 seconds after viewing it, where it records fine for a few seconds, and then freezes, and picks up a few seconds later. I'm assuming I have to upgrade the processor on this computer, can anyone confirm a processor upgrade would fix the lag I'm experiencing? Or would a better video card make a more drastic improvement? Also what would be a good replacement that would be able to handle 4-6 HD cameras? Thanks for the help community!

Computer I'm using has:

Processor: AMD FX 8300 Eight Core
Ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 750
OS: Windows 10 64bit (Fresh Reinstall, only Blue Iris and Deep Stack installed)

And here's a link of the settings I'm using https://imgur.com/a/ypNv2CO in Blue Iris and computer stats
Matts1984

Re: Getting Lag on HD Stream but not SD view

Post by Matts1984 »

Before recommending hardware upgrades, can you show us the Blue Iris Status > Cameras tab? This is a good summary of all camera configs and what your CPU is dealing with and if there is any H/W acceleration going on.

It definitely sounds like it's bogging down when viewing the HD feed. My hope is that we can tweak some settings, with little impact to your experience, and make this usable. From there we can talk about system (camera) additions and if you can handle it or if a newer system is in your future. A lot of us source our systems from eBay at pretty low cost. I'd rather get a better handle on what you have before exploring that though. For reference however, my system minus the storage drives set me back $200.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Tenetri

Post by Tenetri »

Matts1984 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:45 pm can you show us the Blue Iris Status > Cameras tab?
Sure, this first image is running Blue Iris for little while, with 2 cameras only running on a SD stream (I did this troubleshoot to try to improve performance, but it didn't seem to help much). The second image is after I put both cameras back on HD and SD streams, and ran it for an hour and a half before taking a screenshot. https://imgur.com/a/qrn7OXj

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to try adding more RAM as well, I have a 4GB stick laying around.
Tenetri

Post by Tenetri »

IAmATeaf wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:16 pm 1) Reduce the frame rate to 15, you don’t really need 20

2) Change your iframe rate to match your fps, you really need 1.00 rather than the 0.5 you currently have.

3) Hard wire the cams, that should resolve your issues.
Cool, thanks for the reply!

So the cameras I have don't let me change the Frame Rate or iFrame rate, and they're wireless only lol. I think I'm going to get a couple hard wired 4k cameras for the most sensitive areas of the property, and I can put those two wireless cameras somewhere else.

You've been a lot of help figuring out what the issue was. Thanks a lot!
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Not to beat a dead horse but I think I'm in agreement on the network (particularly wireless) saturation. I know your cameras are showing 100% signal strength but that in itself makes me a bit skeptical. PERFECT wireless strength is unlikely unless they're all a foot from your AP. Like you I also have a camera that, while I can adjust the frame rate, the iframes are hard set to equal .5 of frame rate. I can adjust the setting but it doesn't do anything (confirmed with vendor). I agree with all the suggestions already laid out otherwise.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras