BUG - Issues since upgrading the v5

dalejsanders

BUG - Issues since upgrading the v5

Post by dalejsanders »

I have been using BI v4 for a number of years now, with little to no issues. I have an issue now, since upgrading to v5, that is easily repeatable.

1 - Software is running as a service.
2 - After a single instance of viewing the cameras either through the web interface (ui3) or from my iPhone app, subsequent attempts to access camera feeds does not work and I am unable to connect.
3 - Stop and restart the service.
4 - Once again able to access camera feeds through either means mentioned above, then unable again.
5 - Stop and restart the service........... lather, rinse, repeat.

These repeatable issues occur whether or not the admin app is currently open on my NVR. If the app is currently running on the NVR, it will remain running even after I can no longer access the ui3 interface or iOS app. Stopping and restarting the service, however, will force the desktop admin app to shut down.

As someone who travels frequently and needs to keep an eye on the home and family while I am away, this is frustrating.

Thanks to all those who have any suggestions.
Dale

Blue Iris 5 | i7-4790K | 32GB RAM | 2TB mirrored SSD OS | 24TB RAID 6 + 2 Hot Spares recording | Axis & Amcrest PTZ and fixed cameras
BlueIris4Stability

Re: BUG - Issues since upgrading the v5

Post by BlueIris4Stability »

Same exact problem here, V4 was rock solid and now I can connect maybe 1 time to the UI3 before it crashes on a page refresh, most times when I go back to the PC with BI on it, I have almost no cameras working and have to fully restart. This was from a truly rock solid v4 setup. :( sad there have yet been no "updates/fixes" pushed out on v5.

I can provide any "logs" requested but the sad part is that BI seems not to even noticed its on the verge of crashing. Any suggestions on how to make it more stable or assistance I can provide on my end would be great!

Thanks again,
-Steve S.
johnrod55

Post by johnrod55 »

I'm experiencing the same issue where after a while the web interface and blueiris android app will no longer be able to connect to the server , so then i'd have to restart the service. Also during this time, the system stops recording. I'm missing on hours and even days of recordings. I'm running older dual quad core xeons with 16gb ram ssd for OS and database, 3x 1tb hard drives for video storage, 15 cameras connected. performance is fine up to the point when it seems to randomly crap out. Also, the ram usage is usually around 1.5-2gb, when this crash happens and the recordings are no longer running, the blueiris service is using about 15gb of ram. help?
mindauxxx

Post by mindauxxx »

Yeah... I'm not a developer or an analyst, but it feels like the service is bleeding memory like there's no tomorrow.

We have a client that has 50+ cams, so having server w/32GB of ram wasn't unjustified.

After numerous "low memory conditions", we upgraded to 64GB. Same issue. Low memory.

Double that to 128GB of "the good stuff", deleted and re-added all the cams... Guess what? Low memory!

Version 4, we ran all 50 some under 16GB of ram and problems.

Anyone from support here?

Other specs: 24ghz Intel, SSD, storage array (raid 10)
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

mindauxxx wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 pm Yeah... I'm not a developer or an analyst, but it feels like the service is bleeding memory like there's no tomorrow.

We have a client that has 50+ cams, so having server w/32GB of ram wasn't unjustified.

After numerous "low memory conditions", we upgraded to 64GB. Same issue. Low memory.

Double that to 128GB of "the good stuff", deleted and re-added all the cams... Guess what? Low memory!

Version 4, we ran all 50 some under 16GB of ram and problems.

Anyone from support here?

Other specs: 24ghz Intel, SSD, storage array (raid 10)
If you are using H\W acceleration try disabling it if you have the CPU. Power usage will be about the same, CPU usage will, of course, be a lot higher.
I personally don't think it's a BI issue but related to the Intel Display driver. Seems to have two issues a) Memory Leak b) Pauses\Hangs when multiple processes seem to be switching in\out.
Separately, if you are using MPEG, I have found most play-back issues linked to the Codec drivers installed in Windows. Try the Basic K-Lite (Basic) Codec Pack, and again you may need to disable H\W decode in the Codec settings.
I have limited experience with BVR format, so I can't comment on these.
PS: For 64 CAM's you should reduce the Network buffer associated with each CAM, record always, or at-least no or minimal pre-record buffer, and direct to disk.
Curious are you actually out of Physical Memory or Virtual memory? Windows is a bit daft, you can have 1 Terrabyte of RAM and be using SFA, but run a program like JAVA, and it will crash with out of memory if your page file is decently sized!!
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

Unrelated to the Original Bug:
I have found a bug in BI with older generation CPU's, that is where you have BI "rotate or mirror" the video feed, it absolutely kills the CPU. (Only on some computer hardware, the make\model of CAM's make no difference).
The fix, (really what you should be doing anyway) is have your CAM's rotate or mirror the feed, (Which ideally your cams should be doing instead of BI anyway, just like overlays).

I have imported\exported BI config to different hardware, and this issue does seem to impact a lot of CPU generations.

Anyway, just sharing this learning.
djb

Post by djb »

I appear to have the same problem when using the mobile app. When I log in, I can bring up a camera, but after that, when trying to flip to another camera it seems to get stuck and not find the next one. I deleted and reinstalled the app along with uninstalling and reinstalling BI, but that did not seem to fix it.

I tried disabling Hardware acceleration under the camera tab as suggested earlier in the thread and that did seem to help, so thank you! It would still stall occasionally, but it would eventually move to the next cam and not sign me out of the server like before. My wife tried it as well, and its working better for her after this change.

David Borden
ITARO

Post by ITARO »

Has anyone contacted support about this issue and if so, did they provide a solution you can post here?