PC spec to new setup 5 - 7 camera 4MP

KasperDk

PC spec to new setup 5 - 7 camera 4MP

Post by KasperDk »

Hello. I'm working on a new setup and I want to use 5 - 7 Hikvision DS-2CD2345FWD-I 4MP my installation at around 20fps per camera. I'm thinking of using a PC with

i5-3470, 3.20 Ghz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Ram
GPU: Nvidia Geforce Asus GTX 1060 3GB

Do you get anything out of using GUP?

I want the system to be as low as possible in CPU%
Matts1984

Re: PC spec to new setup 5 - 7 camera 4MP

Post by Matts1984 »

So first question - do you already have this system or are you building it?

These aren't the newest components but I'm sure thats not news to you. It looks like pretty much the CPU spec'd is near the top end of what the board can accommodate, which if this is the motherboard being used, thats good. The CPU does support Intel QSV which is great and will really help out with BI. It also answers your question about the GPU... yes BI can utilize Nvidia GPUs for processing but the general consensus (not my own experience as my system has neither QSV or Nvidia) is that QSV is superior so you wouldn't gain anything/much from the GPU. That is to say unless you already have it in which case - it's not going to slow your system down so might as well use it. If it takes even a 1% load from BI or anything else on your system, thats 1% (fuzzy math as this isn't apples -> apples) your CPU isn't having to deal with.

The RAM should be sufficient based on experience, though I generally always like to see it in double digits when building something new. Your call, and depending on the module configuration, potentially a very easy upgrade later if needed. You do NOT need an insane amount of memory as BI is pretty lean in that regard. I don't think I've ever seen it consume > 2GB.

Beyond that, it's going to come down to your configuration settings. BI can be set up to be a CPU monster or , with very little tradeoff, can be very very lean. Using Direct to Disk, Intel Quick Sync Video, managing your FPS and iFrames/keyframes, and substreams can all make a huge difference.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
Saarlaender

Re: PC spec to new setup 5 - 7 camera 4MP

Post by Saarlaender »

Hello Matts,

as i will probably have a similar camera "load" i am also interested :)

Can you suggest other hardware (like more up to date, with more spare power)? In addition to BI and a few HD-Cams (FullHD and SD stream each), i will use AITool (which i think can use NVIDIA cards to process).

Besides that - but maybe nothing for this thread - i am interested in the tuning you mentioned (direct to disc, Intel QSV, FPS & iFrames ...)