External HDD

General discussion about Blue Iris
aviondubzz

External HDD

Post by aviondubzz »

I am currently using an external HDD to store BI recordings but the playback is super slow and laggy. I would imagine it is because I am not using a high performance HDD such as a WD Purple HDD. Could I used a WD Purple HD externally with a conversion kit? Would it still perform as intended. I have an all in one pc and it only had a small built in SDD. Thanks
HeneryH

Re: External HDD

Post by HeneryH »

It is very unlikely to be the drive. Those purple drives have plenty of I/O speed to get the raw bits down the I/O cable.

What type of connection do you have to the external drive? That might be the limiting factor??
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I agree that it is most likely your connection speed, especially if it's USB 2.0. If you're 3.0, 3.1, or eSata you should be fine. You didn't elaborate on what your current external drive speed is - it could be a limiting factor as well but again, I think it's MOST likely the connection.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
TimG

Post by TimG »

I agree about the connection speed. I think Kayfersmum was using an external usb3 hard drive for Storage at one time, so it isn't just the fact that it IS an external drive. Unless you have 64 cameras :shock:

As a test, can you copy a bvr file back to the internal drive ? If so, does it play normally when double clicked ? If not, then it could still be the speed bottleneck of your external connection having degraded the original recording, but it's worth a test.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.