Sun/cloud triggers

ScudRunr

Sun/cloud triggers

Post by ScudRunr »

On a partly cloudy day the clouds sliding by create ground shadows and it causes the cameras to trigger. I have tried everything I can think of but nothing has worked. It is not uncommon for me to return home to find that there are hundreds of cloud triggers. My outdoor cameras are Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW. BI 5.
Ferguson

Re: Sun/cloud triggers

Post by Ferguson »

I am far from an expert but I have had some luck with using zones and triggering only on motion between them, e.g. put a set across my driveway and require motion from A to B to C to trigger as they approach the house. Obviously this can miss real motion that does not cooperate with the scheme I monitor, but it can substantially reduce false positives.

Even so I've had trouble when the clouds were had fairly distinct edges and moved across in the same direction.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Ferguson is spot on!

Using zone triggers can help eliminate these could/tree/bush' triggers. I refer to them as sway or swag triggers.

Using a 3-zone trigger (as Ferguson suggested) will eliminate most false triggers, and possibly miss valid triggers.

Since you can only have 1 set of zones per camera (there is a work around), what I do is to Clone the camera, and make a specific cross-zone trigger. This way you can easily disable the camera during the day/night using a schedule/profile.

I also have a set of Cloned cameras specifically for my priority zones, like, front/back doors, around windows...
Then I set 3 profiles for 'No Alerts', 'Priority Day', and, 'Priority Night'. Profile 1, the default, is all alerts.
terk

Post by terk »

Lookup Sentry-AI or free-ai-person-detection-for-blue-iris which uses DeepStack and the AI tools script to detect and alert only on the object types you select like people, cat, dog, car, ... Both seem to work great, I have been using Sentry-AI for over a month and I set up the DeepStack method on 5 cameras to test this weekend and so far it seems to be doing a great job of eliminating false positives from shadows and shrub movement and only alerting on people as well. Sentry-AI is much easier to setup but costs depending on how many cameras you want to use it on. The DeepStack/AI.tools install wasn't too difficult either and is free.
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

terk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:00 am Lookup Sentry-AI or free-ai-person-detection-for-blue-iris which uses DeepStack and the AI tools script to detect and alert only on the object types you select like people, cat, dog, car, ... Both seem to work great, I have been using Sentry-AI for over a month and I set up the DeepStack method on 5 cameras to test this weekend and so far it seems to be doing a great job of eliminating false positives from shadows and shrub movement and only alerting on people as well. Sentry-AI is much easier to setup but costs depending on how many cameras you want to use it on. The DeepStack/AI.tools install wasn't too difficult either and is free.
i use a combination of A>B to trigger the deepstack (free) AI package then assuming its a 'real' trigger it feeds back in to BI...as the link is still on my clipboard as i mentioned it in another thread....here is is! - LINK!
PaulMetz

Post by PaulMetz »

Updated 6/22/21 Setting up zones did reduce triggers, because I was able to reduce my trigger zone area. Since I live on a canal, you have to cross from (A to B) to get in my yard or access my dock.
Between the clouds, shadows and wind making small waves, the triggers were unbearable. But setting up the zones reduced my false triggers from zero to maybe 20, depending on how windy it is.
Unfortunately windy days and water give false triggers, but I want to know if someone is pulling up to my boat, so i live with it.

When I have more time, I may see if adding a 3rd zone or the Sentry-AI software helps.

Thanks,
Paul M
Boynton Beach FL