Newbie: Analog DVR & Cameras

General discussion about Blue Iris
GarySchiltz

Newbie: Analog DVR & Cameras

Post by GarySchiltz »

I have a Hikvision 8-camera 1080p DVR, but I don't much like the software that comes with it. The cameras are all 1080p analog cameras that connect with coaxial cable to the DVR. The DVR itself can connect by ethernet to a switch or router, and theoretically the DVR can then be accessed via a web browser, but that way of accessing it isn't supported very well. Instead, there is dedicated software that runs on Windows and connects by IP address to the DVR. Additionally, the DVR can be accessed by a smartphone app (Hik Connect) over the internet. I have no idea how that works, but since my router is behind a firewall, I suspect there is some kind of relay server in China.

Anyway, the question is if Blue Iris would provide similar functionality?
TimG

Re: Newbie: Analog DVR & Cameras

Post by TimG »

Hi, you would need to find a 1080 dvr card that is compatible with BI5, as BI5 is primarily for IP cams (connected with ethernet cable rather than co-ax).
I still use one Euresys Picolo Pro2 pci card with my old SD analogue cameras, so it may be possible.
Try sending an email to support. I think you would probably be looking for a pci-e h264/h265 1080 dvr card, but I don't know exactly what output your cameras will have. You will have to check.
Let us know what you find, as I'm sure this question will get asked again.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Some people have used the existing DVR as the converter. If your existing analog system publishes URLs for each camera you can point BI to those URLs.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Agree with HeneryH...

I haven't done it myself but I've read (somewhere, either here or the other forum) about simply using BI to connect to the NVR and let it do the converting. It's worth trying as you're out nothing if it doesn't work.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

An analog-to-digital adapter might be an one way to solve this:

RCA to HDMI, GANA 1080P Mini RCA Composite CVBS AV to HDMI Video Audio Converter
https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-C ... B01L8GG6PW
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Tommty79

Post by Tommty79 »

II have what I call a "hybrid" camera system. I have a Hikvision 16 channel Analog DVR and a computer running Blue Iris. I have 12 cameras and 9 are analog and the balance are POE IP. Blue Iris is my management system for both. I have no problems pointing BI to my DVR and seeing and recording all my alalong cameras. I just use the http address and the camera number.

As my analog cameras die, I replace them with IP cameras. As my system seems to work fine, I'm in to rush to change everything out.

Not sure if this helps you.... but if I can help... let me know.
stuntflyer

Post by stuntflyer »

Tommty79 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:31 am II have what I call a "hybrid" camera system. I have a Hikvision 16 channel Analog DVR and a computer running Blue Iris. I have 12 cameras and 9 are analog and the balance are POE IP. Blue Iris is my management system for both. I have no problems pointing BI to my DVR and seeing and recording all my alalong cameras. I just use the http address and the camera number.

As my analog cameras die, I replace them with IP cameras. As my system seems to work fine, I'm in to rush to change everything out.

Not sure if this helps you.... but if I can help... let me know.
Hi

What Hikvision DVR are you using? Does it have some specific feature or function that allows one to publish out each camera over the network so BI can access each analog camera individually? Have someone that has an analog system I wish to upgrade to BI and would like to transition them the same way you are.
BI latest versions at numerous sites on both Intel and AMD platforms.
blairg

Post by blairg »

Our Hibrid system is using an Axis 7216 encoder, with 16 analog BNC connections. It encodes everything to 1 ethernet port and it makes 4 camera streams per ip address.
Works great with BI,