What's the easiest way to enable an HTPS connection?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

What's the easiest way to enable an HTPS connection?

Post by Thixotropic »

I've searched through the forum (and a couple of others) for information on creating an HTTPS connection to my BI box. I'm sure this subject has been discussed quite a bit, but what's the simplest/easiest way to setup an encrypted connection to the BI web server?

I've read a lot of posts about stunnel and frankly, it was overwhelming. Lotta stuff to pore over and learn and install and configure, etc etc. I was hoping there would be a straightforward walk-though or an alternative solution to getting an encrypted connection. The one thing I'm sure I don't want to do (for a variety of reasons) is run BI in a VM under Linux.

What do people here suggest as how or what to do to get an encrypted connection? Is stunnel the only practical solution?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Re: What's the easiest way to enable an HTPS connection?

Post by HeneryH »

Easiest way is probably using whatever that free tool is that BI recommends. But the big disadvantage of that is that it is hard to use free LetsEncrypt certificates. You can really only use those self-signed certs that present warning errors to viewers that need to be accepted.

If you want a better proxy to provide SSL HTTPS then you need to look at either VMs to provide it ( I have done this) or maybe now there are better pre-packaged Docker modules (I am not very familiar with these yet).
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

You know what. It is time for me....

I'm going to try to get my Ubuntu VM reverse proxy replicated using a Docker system. I need to understand this anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

My Plan is to build A) an Nginx reverse proxy that handles my free Let'sEncrypt certificates and proxies several of my web services or B) the same thing using Traefik.

I have other applications now that run on various VMs, I am gong to replicate them in Docker instead of VMs to make them more portable.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I seriously considered running BI in a Windows VM but I'm concerned the overhead will impact performance. I'd be very interested in the before/after comparison of how it performs in your setup. If it looks like a viable solution then I may follow suite.

HeneryH wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:45 pm You know what. It is time for me....

I'm going to try to get my Ubuntu VM reverse proxy replicated using a Docker system. I need to understand this anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

My Plan is to build A) an Nginx reverse proxy that handles my free Let'sEncrypt certificates and proxies several of my web services or B) the same thing using Traefik.

I have other applications now that run on various VMs, I am gong to replicate them in Docker instead of VMs to make them more portable.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I'm not running BI in a VM, just running a reverse proxy in the VM (or in a docker image which I am working on now).