Direct to disk selected

Cpu hitting 85% to 100%

Which oddly enough was the same on the 13 i tested it on with 8 gigs of mem

When testing the trial on my 3700x i barely hit 25%

Any thoughts?
MikeBwca

Re: Overly high Cpu Usage :(

Post by MikeBwca »

You didn't list if your using the GPU acceleration in your BI settings (In cameras BI settings, BI Settings, and, Encode settings).
What is your 'Limit live preview rate' set at?
How does minimizing the BI window affect cpu?
Your not leaving the ui3 running are you?
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

MikeBwca wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:22 am You didn't list if your using the GPU acceleration in your BI settings (In cameras BI settings, BI Settings, and, Encode settings).
Pretty sure AMD FX 8150 CPU with Radeon HD 6450 does not support any GPU acceleration that BI supports, so no reduction in CPU benefit here. Only GPU's that support Intel Quick Sync and NVidia NVDEC.
Magnus33 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:40 am
Cameras
5 GX722F-IR40 / 4 reolink 410 5mp / 2 wyze cam v2
Cpu fx 8150 / 16 gigs of mem / Video card ati 6450
Direct to disk selected

Cpu hitting 85% to 100%

Which oddly enough was the same on the 13 i tested it on with 8 gigs of mem
When testing the trial on my 3700x i barely hit 25%
You don't state what resolutions, frame rates, and bit rates your cameras are running at with the exception of the Reolink 5mp. Without hardware acceleration using either Intel Quick Sync or NVidia NVDec, I don't see your AMD FX 8150 handling the number of cameras especially the 4 reolink 5mp cameras. For the AMD FX 8150 CPU, you will need to dial down the frame rates and bit rates of each camera's from the camera's UI in addition to using Direct-to-Disk in Blue Iris 5. In Windows 10 Power Options, I recommend using "High performance" over "Balanced" and changing "Sleep" to never. This will prevent Windows from throttling the CPUs to save power. Also un-select "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" in your PC's Ethernet connection properties.

Also, there is no comparison in performance between the AMD FX-8150 CPU and the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x.

AMDFX8150 vs AMDRyzen3700x.png
AMDFX8150 vs AMDRyzen3700x.png (21.89 KiB) Viewed 13428 times
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
Magnus33

Post by Magnus33 »

Sorry for the delay in response been dealing with this mess i inherited.

Turns out the biggest bottleneck was the hard drive rather then the cpu which was interesting.

I noticed with other similar builds her people were using a ssd for the primary drive and its dawned on me that beyond a certain number of cameras the writes to the drive would likely start bottle necking on normal drives.

With that in mind i tried things in the i3 with intel encoding on and a ssd for primary

Cpu when things are dead is around 40% calm they are around 65% and busy 80%

Not to bad for a i3 and 11 cameras although all likely upgrade the cpu to a i5 (just need to figure out which one)

Now i need to figure out what the cameras are set for do some tweaking.

I guess after a certain number of cameras the writes to the drive are beyond what a normal hard drive can cope with decently.

Thanks for the feed back
ArgylePhoto

Post by ArgylePhoto »

So, I have a similar problem. Lenovo i7, 8gb mem, 1 X 256 GB SSD, 1 X WD Purple 4TB, 9 cameras. Cameras 15 frames/sec and watched a couple of BItips videos on YouTube for optimizing performance. All the cameras (various Reolink models) are set to Direct To Disk. Regarding the disk I/O, I have the software and database on the C: (SSD) drive, New and Stored on the WD drive. All cameras are only recording when triggered. The New files are set for 1 hour or 5 GB and a 7 day time interval. The Stored files are to be deleted after 30 days.

I'm wondering when the files get transferred from New to Stored? Is that when the database is being updated at the default of 2:00 AM? The system started off fine with all 9 cameras running but now it's been running a couple of weeks it's at CPU 100% pretty much all the time.

So I'm curious if the disk is getting into a thrashing mode? Would it be better to get a second SSD with only the New files n it, keep them for a day or two and transfer to the Stored folder on the WD drive? Or is there a situation where temp files are causing the thrashing with the Database?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot...
Brian Argyle
argylephoto.com
500px.com/argylephoto
TimG

Post by TimG »

I'm wondering when the files get transferred from New to Stored?
Have a look at the BI logs - click the icon of a graph on the top LHS of the BI5 window. The messages tab will show you when moving and deleting has been done.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about "New" and "Stored". I am a firm believer that they should both be kept away from the WinOS drive. I have a separate ssd for "New" and the BI5 database, and then a 4TB WD Purple for "Stored". BI5 user Kayfersmum found that moving "New" and the BI5 database off of the WinOS drive onto an external USB3 drive improved things a lot:
We bought the Dell PC I mentioned second hand so it could be dedicated to Blue Iris as we were getting so frustrated with the speed of our existing PC and not being able to use it productively. I’ve struggled with the new PC in exactly the same way as the other for 18 months, until just now, when I changed the path for both the New and Stored folders to the external drive. Now it appears to be running as I would expect it to - fast! Before changing the paths I deleted all the old footage from the PC drive and the external drive so that we are starting afresh today.
The thread is available here if you search for it.
So I'm curious if the disk is getting into a thrashing mode? Would it be better to get a second SSD with only the New files n it, keep them for a day or two and transfer to the Stored folder on the WD drive? Or is there a situation where temp files are causing the thrashing with the Database?
Well this works for me, with my cameras recording 24/7, but other than keeping things away from the WinOS drive, all you can do is experiment. Everybody's system is different.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Magnus33

Post by Magnus33 »

In the end i ended getting a low end ryzen figuring the support on the older chip-sets just wasn't going to be as good for obvious reasons.

The system hovers around 38 to 40% most of the time now which for 12 cameras is good.

Three of them are on continua record and the others are triggered since there no need for them to record all the time.

No real issues to speak of at this point although i may end up doing some tweaking when i get time. :)