Ryzen vs i9 for BI

jacksjohn

Ryzen vs i9 for BI

Post by jacksjohn »

New to BI and building a machine to run 10-12 cameras, mostly 8MP cams. I've seen a lot of reference to the quick sync from intel CPU's. Is it necessary for running a larger system like this? It looks like you can get more cores for the money with Ryzen.
TimG

Re: Ryzen vs i9 for BI

Post by TimG »

Have a search here for the website showing the cameras that people have with the pc specification. I think that the Intel acceleration is overated, and it seems to have issues with memory leaks, loss of quality, and ghosting. Not something you want with 8MP cameras. I'm all for Ryzen chips and CPU horsepower for my main PC's. I'm still running an old AMD Piledriver (See my sig below), and that copes well with BI5, Emby, Homeseer, TVMosaic, HD Homerun, DVBViewer etc, with various things recording in HD at the same time. I will get around to splitting that load onto separate PC's, but not just yet :lol:

Have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=396
Last edited by TimG on Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
ctfjr

Post by ctfjr »

I have built 3 Ryzen machines this year - 2 Ryzen 5 3600's and a 2950X Threadripper. I have an unanswered post on this forum asking if BI takes advantage of additional cores. Without knowing that you are really shooting in the dark. If it doesn't you will be better off with a smaller number of cores with faster clock speeds, whether you overclock or not.

I am using my Threadripper to host BI currently with 2 4K cameras. I was concerned that I do mostly photo/video editing that are pretty cpu intensive. The Adobe products I use do take advantage of the extra cores and I haven't seen any degrading on BI or my editing programs.

Since there is no 'idle time' with BI engaged 24/7 I have seen my cpu temps move up about 10 deg C. However when the processor is blasting away on some long editing routine the max temp is no higher.

I would prefer to move BI to one of the Ryzen 5's as it is only used for backup on my lan and just sits there 99.9% of the time.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I have an unanswered post on this forum asking if BI takes advantage of additional cores.
Absolutely BI uses multiple cores. Why would you think it was limited to a single core?
ctfjr

Post by ctfjr »

HeneryH wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm
I have an unanswered post on this forum asking if BI takes advantage of additional cores.
Absolutely BI uses multiple cores. Why would you think it was limited to a single core?
I just don't know :) Is there some max number of cores that it will utilize? Practically speaking is there any great advantage going from a six core processor (Ryzen 5) to an 8 core (Ryzen 7) or even a 16 core (Threadripper). I have been told that gamers (I'm not one) utilize lower core count cpus with faster clock speeds because that gives them the best results. . .

Just trying to find the point of diminishing or no returns.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

ctfjr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:42 pm I have been told that gamers (I'm not one) utilize lower core count cpus with faster clock speeds because that gives them the best results.
blue iris is not a game, but even games are catching up to use more cores. i have 8 cores and 16 threads and they are all used by blue iris.
danb

Post by danb »

I am using BlueIris on two 12-core xeons, 48 threads total. No issues. I don't think it can take advantage of more than 64 threads, due to a Windows limitation, but I have not tried