Reolink RLC-420-5MP - so far so good

Thixotropic

Reolink RLC-420-5MP - so far so good

Post by Thixotropic »

I just got a pair of RLC-420-5MP POE cameras and a BV-Tech 18 port PoE/PoE+ switch. So far they're working perfectly, plug and play all the way. They're undergoing a 48-hour burn-in right now.

After a bit of tinkering with the settings, BI5 sees them just fine.

Beware of "deals" on Amazon- the cameras were $42.49 each, or in a 2-pack for $95.99. Exact same model, etc.

I almost bought the 2-pack before I realized it was a rip off priced $10 more than just adding 2 to the cart.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
broachoski

Re: Reolink RLC-420-5MP - so far so good

Post by broachoski »

Good to see you getting into POE and not trying to depend too much on WYZE
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Any suggestions you could offer on good POE cameras would be welcome, either the bullet type or dome/turret style.

broachoski wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:47 am Good to see you getting into POE and not trying to depend too much on WYZE
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
broachoski

Post by broachoski »

I have not tried any dome cameras due to their reputation for collecting dust which I suppose is mainly an outside mount issue.
You did not mention bullet cams and I can tell you from first hand experience that spiders love them and will set off motion detection non stop. I do have 4 mounted outside but turned off the IR and have the areas covered with external IR lights and they are not bothered by spiders at all.
As far as turret cams, I have several and they will attract a spider here and there but not too bad.
Dahua is good and I started with an IPC HDW2231R-ZS ($129) recommended on another form. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DR ... UTF8&psc=1
I like cams with optical zoom as it can be set to a location and then left alone. I play with them a lot but they are not made for full time zooming.
All other cams are OEM Dahua and Chinese every thing else. I am a gambler and like to try the cheapo's. My best cameras cost less than $30. The only camera that has failed was a real Dahua cheapo that B&H Photo was liquidating from old Dahua stock.
The main issue with these OEM and most Chinese cameras is security. You have to block them from accessing the internet as they sometimes pull and ET and wanna phone home. Another pain with trying different brands is that the initial configuration to assign an IP and change password can be a royal pain.
Basically I guess the easiest are Dahua and the OEM Dahua cams.
I have had good luck with this last one also. You cannot update the firmware on OEM cameras but to me that is not an issue as I feel if it works good, I don't care to make changes.
Dahua IPC-HDW4433C-A IP Camera 4MP HD POE Night IR 50M IP67 Mic Dome 2.8mm ($62.)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262957137174
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

The HDW4433C-A looks good, I may get a couple of those. Do you recommend the version with the 3.6mm lens or the 2.8mm lens?

I found a handy gadget on Amazon that lets you use two POE cameras on a single Ethernet line:

Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter Kit
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GPN99CV/

It allows you to have two cameras connected to a single Ethernet cable using a splitter at each end. So I'll only need to pull a single Ethernet cable to a spot where I plan to have 2 POE cameras mounted.

Also, the Foscam and Amcrest wireless cameras each have an Ethernet port. I'm testing one of the Foscams to see if it'll stay online with a wired connection, and I think I'll put it outside in a little enclosure and see if survives the winter. It'll be a sacrificial camera, lol.

broachoski wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:13 amI have not tried any dome cameras due to their reputation for collecting dust which I suppose is mainly an outside mount issue.
Yes, they'll collect dust and if they're out in the rain they'll get stuff all over the dome lens. Outdoors they need to be mounted under an overhang or fascia or eave- just as long as they're out of the direct rainfall. I also recommend covering or spray painting the back of the dome (the side away from the camera) to reduce glare, light bleed, and reflections. Just mark the limit of the camera's view and spray the rest flat black.
broachoski

Post by broachoski »

"Do you recommend the version with the 3.6mm lens or the 2.8mm lens?"

This depends on your field of view. The 2.8 gives a field where the 3.6 gives narrower view but offers more detail. I think your Reolink's are 4mm which gives you about 80 degree wide. Google is your friend here with some comparisons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2.8+vs+ ... 44&bih=554

" I found a handy gadget on Amazon that lets you use two POE cameras on a single Ethernet line"

" Ethernet Cable Combiner/Splitter Kit"
" Compatible with any 10/100 switch with or without PoE; Ideal for devices that does not support Power Over Ethernet"

NOT FOR POE! POE devices use all 8 wires where normal ethernet devices only uses 4 of the 8 wires. In order for these to work on a POE camera, you would have to have a POE injector at or near each camera to supply the power to the cameras which means you would have to have a power source near by.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

broachoski wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:13 pmNOT FOR POE! POE devices use all 8 wires where normal ethernet devices only uses 4 of the 8 wires. In order for these to work on a POE camera, you would have to have a POE injector at or near each camera to supply the power to the cameras which means you would have to have a power source near by.
I think this one is made to do just that, though. I was skeptical but it's working fine with my POE switch and 2 cameras.

The product page shows a picture of two cameras plugged into the adapter, and the title mentions "...2 Male to 1 Female POE Data Adapter". Part of the description says, "Compatible with any 10/100 switch with or without PoE" and "easily integrate them to CCTV POE NVR system."

The seller was asked the question "Do these splitters carry the power via poe to the connected devices like poe ip security cameras?" and his response was, "Yes, the Ethernet Cable Splitter Kit can support POE."

In any case it's definitely supplying power to both cameras and they're both sending video, so it seems to be doing what it claims to do. I've currently got two cams hooked up with the splitter on each end and they're both working.

I have two places where I want to mount two POE cams (facing in different directions) and each run is ~130ft or a little more, so this will save a lot of cabling.

I also found this gadget which I may use for some of the expendable wifi cameras that I plan to run ethernet cabling to:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOSOCEE/

It splits and reduces the 48v POE power down to 5vdc, which is what the Amcrest 841 and Foscam R2 require. I'm thinking that I could use the first splitter to supply two of those if I decide to put two of the cheapo wifi cams in one spot. Maybe I'll do a side-by-side exposure test this winter with an Amcrest and a Foscam and see which fares better (and if either of them survive).
broachoski

Post by broachoski »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOSOCEE/

THANKS! That is exactly what I need. I have 2 wired Amcrest ProHD cams and having to feed them 5 volts was a pain.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I really, really, really wish that the Foscam and Amcrest cameras had POE built in. I know they're primarily intended for wifi, but it sure would be handy.

I also found a way to make a very nice, very rugged outdoor mount for the Foscam cameras, and I'll post some pics here as soon as I pull them together. It's not completely weatherproof but it will cover them pretty well. Best part is that the whole thing costs less than $5. :)

broachoski wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:18 am https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOSOCEE/

THANKS! That is exactly what I need. I have 2 wired Amcrest ProHD cams and having to feed them 5 volts was a pain.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Here's how to make a simple and inexpensive outdoor mount for the Foscam R2 or similarly shaped cameras. It's super-durable, water-tight (if done properly), and weather-resistant.

1) Buy a 3" diameter ABS cleanout adapter fitting (about $3).

2) Drill a hole in the center of the cleanout plug's cap; this is where you'll use a 2.5" 1/4 28 screw to attach the camera. Make sure this hole is centered or the camera housing will bind and won't be able to rotate.

3) Mark and cut the threaded cap to allow the Ethernet connector and power cord access to the back of the camera. You'll also need to make a small cutout to allow the wifi antenna connector to sit flush in the cap.

4) Mark and cut corresponding holes in the body of the cleanout adapter to match up with the holes in step 3. You'll want to attach the camera and then assemble the plug, screwing it in so it's snug and flush with the top of the adapter body. Make a mark across the top of the plug and body so you can easily return it to the same exact position.

5) Make sure you create a small relief cutout at the top of the Ethernet access hole, or you'll have a hell of a time unplugging the connector and getting it out. Ask me how I know.

6) Attach the camera, then screw the plug into the adapter body so the cutouts and holes align. Insert the Ethernet plug and the power plug.

7) If you've done this right there should be about 1/8th" inch clearance all around the camera, allowing it to rotate freely.

8) Unscrew the camera (or mask it off) and paint the cleanout adapter. I use Plasti-Dip instead of paint but either will work fine.

8) Fab up a simple bracket and attach it to the same screw you used to attach the camera to the threaded plug. Or, use a clamp/band to attach it to the mounting location of your choice.

9) Fill the Ethernet and power supply holes with silicone rubber to prevent water and insects from getting in.

I used this POE-to-5VDC adapter to power the camera from my Ethernet cable so I didn't have to run a separate 5VDC power cord to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOSOCEE/

(Additional images in the next post; apparently I can only attach 3 per post)
Attachments
foscam-mount-1.jpg
foscam-mount-1.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 19850 times
foscam-mount-2.jpg
foscam-mount-2.jpg (21.22 KiB) Viewed 19850 times
foscam-mount-3.jpg
foscam-mount-3.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 19850 times
Last edited by Thixotropic on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.