Why does FPS drop at night ?

steve0

Why does FPS drop at night ?

Post by steve0 »

Why does the FPS of all my cameras drop at night ? From 15 to 20 (as selected in each camera) daytime to 10 - 12 at night. The CPU load is around 40%. I have 8 Cameras, Mostly Reolink 520's / 410s and 1 brandless PTZ - it happens to them all, as I add them the FPS at night gets lower and lower. The network into the PC is running at around 40mbit. I have several more Cameras to add yet.
YrbkMgr

Re: Why does FPS drop at night ?

Post by YrbkMgr »

How are you determining the FPS change? Also post a screenshot of the Status window -> Cameras tab. Se also these search results for Reolink in the self help documentation that may be useful.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
red_iris

Post by red_iris »

Some cameras are just configured to do this. Reolink halves their FPS at night to capture more light in each frame. There are ways around it though.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Thanks, yeah I think it's the way the cameras work (Reolink 410s and 520s). When I turn a light on and the IR goes out in the camera, the FPS goes back up.