Ryzen Vega 11 gpu better than Intel HD 630?

ronab2k

Ryzen Vega 11 gpu better than Intel HD 630?

Post by ronab2k »

I've been using Quicksync to offload CPU load to GPU on my Intel 7700T. Running Blue Iris 5. Thinking about going to AMD 3400G since the Vega 11 graphics is better than the Intel graphics.

Any benefits or issues going down the Ryzen route for BI5? I have four 4k cameras and 5 2k (4mp) cameras. 7700t can handle it but nothing more (i.e. making the box a Plex server, etc)

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.
HeneryH

Re: Ryzen Vega 11 gpu better than Intel HD 630?

Post by HeneryH »

The ONLY hardware acceleration that BI is coded to utilize is QuickSync and Nvidia Cuda.

While it may be true that the Vega might be better, BI will not be utilizing it.

You would need to compare the un-accelerated AMD to the accelerated Intel.
ronab2k

Post by ronab2k »

Any ETA when blue Iris will support Ryzen? Hard to believe there's no support considering Ryzens are everywhere now and have great graphics
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

We don't even know if it is on Ken's roadmap.

I doubt it will come any time soon.
bp2008

Post by bp2008 »

None of the high-end Ryzen CPUs offer hardware-accelerated video decoding/encoding. Only the low-end models. I have trouble imagining why someone would buy one of those for Blue Iris when an equivalent Intel system with Quick Sync could be had for a lot less money from ebay.
josephclemente

Post by josephclemente »

The AMD Ryzen 3400G is nice. Are you going to build it in the tiny ASRock Deskmini A300W?

It is too bad BI does not support AMD GPU acceleration. All of my recent builds have been Ryzen.

Since you are going to use Plex, it probably is best to let Plex have all the GPU acceleration anyway.
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

Just use CPU power. Quicksync is only a single core, so it has limited applications\use. The intel drivers still have memory leaks, causing BI to reduce the frame rate.
Pauses in recording, due to playbacks and thread transfer.
Sure on some systems it works fine, but for 100% reliability on a large systems I would stick with CPU.
Also need CPU i you use H.265.
If you measure power on the wall, sure CPU usage goes down with quicksync, but power usage measures about the same from the wall.