Enabling Windows service issue

seebes

Enabling Windows service issue

Post by seebes »

Hi all - I just migrated to a new PC and imported my old settings and when I go into the startup menu to enable Run as a Windows service it prompts me for the user / password but nothing I am entering is taking. The prepopulated user name is the old PC name. I have tried to enter that as well as my current Windows user account info.
I did some searching but no of the solutions found seem to be working. Would someone point me in the right direction? Thanks
IAmATeaf

Re: Enabling Windows service issue

Post by IAmATeaf »

You should enter the username and password of the user that you used to do the install of BI. If you performed the install of BI as a normal user and were promoted for credentials then you should enter those details.

The password for this user cannot be blank as the Windows dialogs for entering the credentials won’t allow the password to be left blank.
seebes

Post by seebes »

Thanks for the response.
When I installed BI it did not prompt me to enter a password
The windows user on the new PC uses a PIN to log on - tried that.
Then I changed the windows log in to use the password and tried that with no success.
seebes

Post by seebes »

Also I just went back to the old PC and tried to enable / disable windows startup. I entered the windows user and password and it worked no problem.

Could it be an issue from importing the settings from that old PC? Since it is populating the user name of the old pc on the new one
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

do you have this option checked on old pc ?

Screenshot 2022-01-08 165629.jpg
Screenshot 2022-01-08 165629.jpg (211.16 KiB) Viewed 2830 times
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

This issue is addressed on Page 201 of the help file. You enter the same information that you use to log into Windows. If you use local_console with a blank password, BI will launch and you can go to the Startup tab of Global settings and re-enable the service. When you do that, it will ask for your windows credentials. Username and the password for your Microsoft account usually.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
seebes

Post by seebes »

Tinman wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:57 pm do you have this option checked on old pc ?

Screenshot 2022-01-08 165629.jpg
Just checked. It was not but thank you
seebes

Post by seebes »

YrbkMgr wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 pm This issue is addressed on Page 201 of the help file. You enter the same information that you use to log into Windows. If you use local_console with a blank password, BI will launch and you can go to the Startup tab of Global settings and re-enable the service. When you do that, it will ask for your windows credentials. Username and the password for your Microsoft account usually.
Thanks for the help file location. I previously did this but reset the password and ended up having to use the email address associated with the Microsoft account and the newly created password.

Got it all working!

I appreciate the help