2 Networks cards in one Desktop

MikeBwca

2 Networks cards in one Desktop

Post by MikeBwca »

Is anyone using 2 network cards in one desktop? Ones on the MB, the other is a gig network card.

I think I know how to setup the second NIC, but am not entirely sure.

I'm like to put all the cameras on the 2nd NIC, but still be able to access them via BI's android app & UI3 when I'm outside my network.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
HeneryH

Re: 2 Networks cards in one Desktop

Post by HeneryH »

This is a subnet or virtual LAN question and would probably be specific to your router.

Each card would have its own MAC id and you'd likely need to use your router to assign IP addresses to the appropriate MACs from its router portal.

Sorry this isn't a very satisfying answer.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yes, I am set up like this, and it is working - more by luck than judgement though :(

My main home network has the (Asus RT-AC86U) router at 192.168.2.1, and the primary BI5 PC motherboard NIC is connected to this with a static IP address of 192.168.2.2. The second BI5 PC NIC has a static IP address of 10.0.0.1 which has a POE switch plugged in to it, and there are presently two IP cameras directly connected to that with .2 and .3 static addresses.

I need to understand more about subnet masks, but have the second NIC set up with no default gateway, in an attempt to prevent cameras having internet access from my 10.0.0.x network via the 192.168.2.x network. The Status window shows the second network adapter as having no network access for IPv4 and IPv6, but it is working very well in BI5.

LAN UI3 access works via the primary NIC, although I use OpenVPN on my Asus router for remote mobile phone connections and have closed the ports - this stopped the Chinese and Russian IP's appearing in my BI5 log.

So, it is working, but:

1. I don't understand if my Asus router has any control, or if it needs to have any control over the 10.0.0.x network.
2. A powerline ethernet connection for my Foscam R2 (On the 10.0.0.x network) is very slow, even after tweaking the settings.
3. The Foscam R2 is unable to use the clock server running on the BI5 pc (An attempt to synchronise the time on all of my cameras).

So, there you have it. Guesswork with a bit of knowledge can only get you so far :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

yes, I have almost the exact network setup.

BI can see cameras on both networks. And the UI3 and android app work well, either internally, or, external. Works quite well. The 2nd network has no internet connection.

But, If I use another camera app on my phone (IP Cam Viewer Pro', when I'm logged in thru my main router, I cannot see the 2nd network. Which makes sense. With my phone, if I log into the 2nd router, I can't see the cameras on the main router. Also makes sense.
If I want to use IPCamViewerPro on my phone to view/manage the cameras on the 2nd router, I need to log into that router. That's fine, but, I can't do that when I'm away from home.

I've been trying to 'Bridge' the 2 networks, but nothing I try is working. I've experimented with route tables also. I gave up yesterday. I've disabled the 2nd network, and I'm back to the one network. If I find more info, I'll look into it again.

Unless I can access the 2nd network when my android phone is logged into the main router, (or externally) I don't want it. I need to have a fail over method to view & manage the cameras (Ip Cam Viewer Pro), in the event BI locks up or crashes. Which has happened.

Note: I was harshly criticized on the 'other forum' by (the name that shall not be spoken), for also using IPCamViewerPro... being that the BI app should be enough!
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

MikeBwca wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:48 pm BI can see cameras on both networks. And the UI3 and android app work well, either internally, or, external. Works quite well. The 2nd network has no internet connection.

But, If I use another camera app on my phone (IP Cam Viewer Pro', when I'm logged in thru my main router, I cannot see the 2nd network. Which makes sense. With my phone, if I log into the 2nd router, I can't see the cameras on the main router. Also makes sense.
If I want to use IPCamViewerPro on my phone to view/manage the cameras on the 2nd router, I need to log into that router. That's fine, but, I can't do that when I'm away from home.

I've been trying to 'Bridge' the 2 networks, but nothing I try is working. I've experimented with route tables also. I gave up yesterday. I've disabled the 2nd network, and I'm back to the one network. If I find more info, I'll look into it again.

Unless I can access the 2nd network when my android phone is logged into the main router, (or externally) I don't want it. I need to have a fail over method to view & manage the cameras (Ip Cam Viewer Pro), in the event BI locks up or crashes. Which has happened.
I have never tried this but there is a way to forward packets between two networks connected to the same PC with 2 NICs by enabling IP routing. This information pertains to a Windows 7 PC, but should work with Windows 10. see https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... networking

You can enable IP routing in Windows 7 by modifying the relevant registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Value Name: IpEnableRouter
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 1

To modify the static routing table use the route command. To check if it has been enabled use ipconfig /all and there should be a line:

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Thank you for your suggestions.

I did research IP routing within windows. This looks so confusing that I didn't want to risk messing up my network. I did take a full backup prior to doing anything... but still. I checked, and IP routing is turned off.

When I'm on the desktop everything works. So, the addresses to the second router are being routed to the 2nd nic, and I can access the devices. The issue is when I'm not on the desktop, like my cell phone, which is wireless connected to the main 1st router. I would think this is a routing issue between routers? I've tried using both routers route table with no success. I've research it online, but that like attempting to do my own brain surgery.

Why is this so difficult! I have a few ideas to try out. Maybe in a day or two... I need to rest my brain!
TimG

Post by TimG »

I need to have a fail over method to view & manage the cameras (Ip Cam Viewer Pro), in the event BI locks up or crashes.
I use Splashtop to cover that type of event. Using that, I can log in to the BI5 pc directly, and sort any pc issues out.

Two routers ? Should i have two routers ? It seems to be working with one, but as I said before, more by luck than judgement :shock:
Note: I was harshly criticized on the 'other forum' by (the name that shall not be spoken), for also using IPCamViewerPro... being that the BI app should be enough!
He won't be getting a Christmas card from me this year :lol:
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

TimG wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:03 am I use Splashtop...
I been using Teamviewer for years. It also has voice chat, txt message window, and a whiteboard. It's amazing, and best of all, it's free for personal use. I've checked into Splashtop, and do not see a benefit to switch to a paid program. Have you compared them? What is your opinion/comments on Splashtop over Teamviewer?
TimG

Post by TimG »

I think I started with Logmein, until it became too expensive, then it was Teamviewer or Splashtop. Splashtop personal is free for use within the LAN, but you need a $16.99/annum add on to log in from a mobile phone that is not on the LAN. It works very well, so I've not looked in to changing it. I'm not a fanboy - I don't mind changing if something is better.
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I switch to AnyDesk, since TeamViewer locked me out of using their software saying I'm using it commercial. I call B.S. on that. It's for my home computers, My phone, and occasionally a friend that needs help.

Anywho....

AnyDesk if great. It takes less cpu than TeamViewer, is quicker and more responsive.