Decently Fast Computer, Need Better GPU

meredithutah

Decently Fast Computer, Need Better GPU

Post by meredithutah »

Rather than getting into why I may only use a single computer for both everyday working, and BlueIris, let's just accept that I need to 'upgrade' this existing system to be able to do both.

As it is now, I have 12 Lorex 8MP cameras, and we'll be adding several more in the near future.

To save CPU I have direct-to-disk, and for streaming I'm using the sub-stream directly from the Lorex's (although that's another issue as I clearly haven't set that up right).

Anyway, apparently the GPU I have in the system isn't compatible with encoding, so I'm going to get a new one. As it stands now my GPU never goes above 2% on the system, since it can't do encoding (it's a ASUS ROG STRIX RX580 8GB DDR5).

My goal is to move more of the load from the CPU over to the GPU.

What I'm aiming for, is the 'best' (or preferably a list of options) for GPUs that will work with the i9, work with the Software, and work with say 20 Lorex's for encoding on the GPU and not the CPU.

What should I buy (also assuming I'm not going to spend $3k on a GPU from the 'top' of their list...).

The system build is:
i9-9940X 3.3 (OC to 4.2); 128GB RAM; 4TB NVMe RAID

Also, thank you very much in advance for helping me with this. I've been reading a lot, and can't seem to find a definitive answer for this.