Repurpose old Hardware AMD

winderic

Repurpose old Hardware AMD

Post by winderic »

Hi All, i am thinking to repurpose my old hardware amd 9850 x4 BE with m3a79-t delxue,
would this be okay to run 4 to 6 cameras? Thanks.
Thixotropic

Re: Repurpose old Hardware AMD

Post by Thixotropic »

There's not enough info in your to say one way or another; if you can post all the specs of the system (RAM, CPU, etc) we'll try to determine if it looks like it would work.

winderic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm Hi All, i am thinking to repurpose my old hardware amd 9850 x4 BE with m3a79-t delxue,
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I tend to be an optimist but I think you'd really have to tweak to get a comfortable environment with that CPU. RAM is also important though BI is not very RAM hungry so whatever you're adding should be sufficient. This also has a dependence on what level of cameras you're adding.

Since you have the hardware, why not try it? If it's awful, then theres your answer.

You may need to look at tuning down the resolution and/or frame rates but I've been able to tweak my environment pretty heavily, still maintain very satisfactory images, and a happy CPU.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

There is a user (voluntary submissions) of throughput and CPUs but I really don't know the AMD lineage and most BI users are on Intel so it might not help. Maybe you could find an intel CPU with equivalent benchmarks to your CPU.

Basically, with AMD you won't be able to take advantage of the Intel QuickSync build in video hardware acceleration.

https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats
Bujinkan

Post by Bujinkan »

I have lots of PC parts, and have tried several AMD's. Phenom II, Athlon, ryzen...I have (6) 2k IP cams, currently, and was unimpressed with performance with AMD, not that they did not work, fine, but remote viewing, and other simple issues were more of a personal nature, but even the phenom II, was able to run BI, with all 6 cams.
winderic

Post by winderic »

Thixotropic wrote:There's not enough info in your to say one way or another; if you can post all the specs of the system (RAM, CPU, etc) we'll try to determine if it looks like it would work.

winderic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:26 pm Hi All, i am thinking to repurpose my old hardware amd 9850 x4 BE with m3a79-t delxue,
Thank you all for your feedback.

I will have 8 GB ram on it and planning to use with Nvidia 210 gpu.

I haven buy camera yet as tossing between nvr or if I can use old hardware then BI.

Plan to run 4x 4mp dahua 5442 model at start. Might add another 2 more down the track which might be 6 cameras max would say.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

winderic

Post by winderic »

Thank you all for your feedback.

I will have 8 GB ram on it and planning to use with Nvidia 210 gpu.

I haven buy camera yet as tossing between nvr or if I can use old hardware.

Plan to run 4x 4mp dahua 5442 model at start. Might add another 2 to 6 max would say.

Thanks.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I would NEVER buy an Dedicated NVR over a traditional computer OS with NVR software.

I hate being locked into an ecosystem and held hostage by that vendor. If I ever decide BI sucks, then I just load up a competitor.
winderic

Post by winderic »

HeneryH wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:28 pm I would NEVER buy an Dedicated NVR over a traditional computer OS with NVR software.

I hate being locked into an ecosystem and held hostage by that vendor. If I ever decide BI sucks, then I just load up a competitor.
Yeah. I know. Thats why I try to see if I can use my old hardware to run BI and save cost at the same time.

I am hoping it would be ok to run 6 cameras. I don't think I will need more.

Does it matter if I use window 10 home or pro?

Thanks.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I agree with @Matts1984. Give it a try. Do follow all of the optimizations that BI suggest and you may be surprised. Squeezing a 4k or 8k cam down to 1080 would be a huge savings. On your PC, check what services and programs are loaded at startup. A minimal AV program like Microsoft would be gentle on resources.

My PC is a Phenom X6 / ATI graphics. I have 16 cams on one profile plus 4 duplicates recording 24/7 at 640x480. The CPU runs at <50% without an open console session. I am just amazed this PC has not quit on me and it is still quite responsive and will handle brief remote sessions adequately but I do need to close the local console when not using it as a remote session with a local console running would be very CPU intensive.