Graphics card for monitor display?

Schnoidz

Graphics card for monitor display?

Post by Schnoidz »

I'm running 16 cameras on a HP ProDesk 600 G5 SFF i7-9700 3.00GHz with16GB RAM and a 512GB SSD that moves the files to a NAS. BI is all that runs on this computer. I see on the Blue Iris home page that the Recommended Specs include "nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display". Since my ProDesk doesn't currently have any graphics card I'm wondering what would be a good option to add for display on a 32" or larger high resolution monitor?
terk

Re: Graphics card for monitor display?

Post by terk »

Intel Quick Sync supposedly does just as good or close to as the nVidia GPU offloading. Are you using the Intel hardware acceleration in BI now?
Schnoidz

Post by Schnoidz »

Yes, QuickSync for BI. I was just looking at nVIDIA for the display on the monitor. I was curious if it would help since it's mentioned on the home page for BI. https://blueirissoftware.com/

MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

There's always the NVidia 2080!!!

For my new build, I'm planning on getting the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER FTW3 HYBRID GAMING, 08G-P4-3288-KR - Which is Water Cooled! :shock: I'll be using the same desktop for my day-to-day stuff also, as well as BI.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.a ... P4-3288-KR
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I think the only reason an external card would be useful is if you are trying to drive a 4k monitor with internal GPU.
WmG

Post by WmG »

Nvidia 2080? You rich kids! :lol:

When I built my repurposed HP800 SFF i7 (no graphics card) as a dedicated BI machine I did the initial adjustments to optimize the CPU usage. Then I moved from the small monitor I set it up with to a larger 1980x1200 monitor and all of sudden my CPU jumped significantly. Painting the graphics on that larger monitor made a huge difference. I adjusted again and lived with it. Then I upgraded to a 4k monitor and found that the onboard intel graphics were quite challenged. It was usable with the Display Port output but not optimal.

That sent me in search of a graphics card that would take some of the load off of the CPU based intel graphics. My specs were for it to be low profile to fit in the SFF box, not require an upgrade to the already low output power supply, and be relatively inexpensive. I settled on a GT1030 that met those specs. It works like a champ and took a bunch of load off of the CPU. Unfortunately I've since actually read the portion of BI help file that mentions Nvidia NVDEC and I think I managed to buy the one card that checks none of those boxes. Oh well it meets my cheap and low power needs and gets the job done for all but the full screen 4k action videos. Good luck on your search
Schnoidz

Post by Schnoidz »

Thanks for the great reply. That's exactly what I want to know. I currently use a 32" 1080p monitor and full screen 4k isn't terrible but I'd like to improve it if possible. I use my system mainly for local viewing and I like to keep a live view going most of the time. I don't do much remote viewing at all.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I've noticed that you can get a perfectly usable 50" or 55" TV for under $200 these days, and as a result I've been sooooooooo tempted to buy one and cast BI to it from the PC.

A CAT5 HDMI extender is only $50, and a wireless HDMI transmitter runs about $150 to $200...

<Shatner Voice>Must. Not. Reach. For. Wallet....</Shatner Voice>
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
WmG

Post by WmG »

On my Home Theater (not BI) PC I run the camera app (Hikvision in my case) for display only which runs with ridiculously low overhead, and even considerably and inexplicably less network usage for the same six cameras. I run that app full screen and send it to four TV's (and a projector when in use) via HDMI and one via HDMI wireless. I can view the cams on any TV at any time. If I want to use the HTPC the cams continue to run behind whatever I'm watching. It's kind of handy when you hear the door slam outside and wonder whose driveway they're in. And of course, even on the 108" screen of the projector 1920x1080 is still 1920x1080. A 4k upgrade is tempting but now that I've seen the horsepower it takes to make it happen I can more easily put it off for a little longer.