Starting BI from a script runs it in the background?

Thixotropic

Starting BI from a script runs it in the background?

Post by Thixotropic »

This is interesting....starting BI from an auto-start script seems to run it in the background with no UI.

Double-clicking the BI icon makes the UI appear, just as if it was set to run as a service (which it's not).

Weird, not sure what to make of this, lol.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
LOOPYLOOP

Re: Starting BI from a script runs it in the background?

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

Just wondering if it is somehow running BI minimised?
do you get the taskbar icon? that would not be there if running as a service but would be if minimised.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Nope, no taskbar icon. It's running in the background as near as I can tell.

I think it even shows up as a background process in the Task Manager. (This is from running as a startup task before a user has logged in.)

LOOPYLOOP wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 pm Just wondering if it is somehow running BI minimised?
do you get the taskbar icon? that would not be there if running as a service but would be if minimised.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

This sounds like the behavior if option 'Run as a Windows Service' is checked in the BI Settings 'Startup' tab.
- BI Will run as a service without the console.
- Double-click the BI icon to start the console. Exiting will close the console only. The service remains running.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Yep, that's what it sounds like it's doing. Maybe it's related to the fact that it's run before the user (me) logs in, but it is run under my User Name, so I'd think that after I logged in I'd see it.

Interestingly enough, the ngrok process that I also start is hidden and appears to be running in the background as well. I can't find a way so far to bring that up so I can see it.

I've written support and I'll update this post after I see what they say.

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:01 am This sounds like the behavior if option 'Run as a Windows Service' is checked in the BI Settings 'Startup' tab.
- BI Will run as a service without the console.
- Double-click the BI icon to start the console. Exiting will close the console only. The service remains running.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Do you have the 'Run as a service' option in Bi set?
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:36 amDo you have the 'Run as a service' option in Bi set?
No, not at this time. That was the first thing I thought of, but I had unchecked that setting previously in order to test the unattended start up.

The unattended start up works, and it even starts the ngrok tunnel (which is very useful) but the GUI itself doesn't appear when I log in. Double-clicking the BI icon does make the GUI appear and everything seems to work normally. Closing the GUI still shows the BI process running, so maybe it automatically goes into the 'service' mode when loaded like that. I'll see what support says and go from there.

I could also set Windows up to allow an automatic login by a given user but that presents security issues of a different type (although they can be mitigated somewhat).