newby with camera connection problems

For anything else on your mind
HughS

newby with camera connection problems

Post by HughS »

Where is the best place to go in the forum to find someone to hold my hand or give basic information for connecting a Foscam PTZ camera to Blue Iris.. New to BI and this camera. Camera works on phone app. so i know it my lack knowledge causing the lack of connection :-)
TimG

Re: newby with camera connection problems

Post by TimG »

Anywhere you like ! Pick a section. Give us the details and we will try to help.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

In its most basic essence you should simply be able to add a new camera, type in its IP address, then username and password, BI will then attempt to scan the IP address for camera info and bingo you should have a new camera in BI with the video stream.

So have you attempted to do this?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Let us know and we will try to help. There is no such thing as a stupid question, it's just something you don't know yet :mrgreen:
Forum Moderator.
HughS

Post by HughS »

Ok, putting this camera on hold for a while... moving on, will come back to it later... will repost if I still am having trouble connecting the camera in BI.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Did we scare him away :(
Forum Moderator.
HughS

Post by HughS »

Nope, didn't scare me away... Just got another camera in and having the same problems with it. Not seeing any info on either one of the cameras as to what the user name and password is for each of them... just user name of 'admin' - that is all.. I posted with info on the second camera with the same problem, will try to stick with that one.. I am thinking if something works on that one, it will apply to this one as well.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I would suggest starting with the Foscam, as your other camera may not quite as Onvif compatible. To get you started, can you detail both IP camera types and where you have seen that they are ONVIF or RTSP compatible. Either thread. It's a free world 8-)

We have a plethora of free tools for searching for cameras, and BI5 is pretty cute there too. You may also find it useful looking for info on viewing them in VLC, because if VLC can view them, then BI5 probably can too.
Forum Moderator.
HughS

Post by HughS »

" To get you started, can you detail both IP camera types and where you have seen that they are ONVIF or RTSP compatible" I have no idea what a IP camera 'type' is and no information to confirm they are ' ONVIF or RTSP' compatable - really so new to this that I have no real clue what all that means. I have 5 cameras working with BI , the install for them was very painless.. these last 2 are killing me and the only thing they have in common is I know they work on a phone app, which I hate to use separate apps for separate cameras. I would like to get them to working then put them all on the BI phone app for viewing when we are traveling. I did download the VLC program, have used it before to view video's , but not successful in connecting to cameras with it.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi again, I mean we need to know the part number for the cameras so we can search for them and assist you. If that tells us they are not IP cameras, or don't work with ONVIF or RTSP - but do work with their specific app - then they may not be compatible with BI5, which could explain why your first cameras work but these don't. It is very common.
Forum Moderator.