Just starting...Any 4K cameras that work well?

PinellasPete

Just starting...Any 4K cameras that work well?

Post by PinellasPete »

Like the title states I'm just starting out with my video surveillance system hardware shopping. I really like the REOLINK cameras and prices but don't want to deal with some of the compatibility issues that I've been reading about.

What would you recommend as a good quality 4K camera for outdoor use? (Under $200?)

My system when finished will probably consist of three 4K cameras and perhaps two 5MP cameras.

I will be using an old gaming computer to run this system. Do you think it will be strong enough to operate all these cameras?

Here's the specs:

Intel i5-3570K 4 core CPU (Quick Sync Capable)
8GB RAM
500GB SSD
4TB Western Digital Purple (I'll buy this once I get the system up and running.)

Would you buy Cat 6 cables pre-made or make them yourself. (I'm pretty handy but have never made my own cables.)
Anything else that I should be watching out for?
What's the biggest oops noobs make when doing this the first time?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer!
oceanslider

Re: Just starting...Any 4K cameras that work well?

Post by oceanslider »

You would be advised to stay away from Reolink by most experienced BI users. Read up some over at IPCamTalk.com some of the camera reviews. Dahua is liked because of quality image especially at night. And there is a guy, Andy, who sells direct them from Hong Kong at great pricing.

Read the Wiki and Cliff Notes over at IPCamTalk.com about stuff like running your own wire, good info.

Check out this review... https://youtu.be/8iSqwUSjMOU
Dedicated Blue Iris 5 PC : HP ProDesk i5-8500, 8gb RAM, 256gb M.2 SSD(for BI and Windows 10), 8tb drive shucked from WD EasyStore.
Two cameras so far: one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and one IPC-T5442TM-AS, eventually looking to have about 6 or 7 cameras.
HeneryH

Re: Just starting...Any 4K cameras that work well?

Post by HeneryH »

PinellasPete wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:22 am Would you buy Cat 6 cables pre-made or make them yourself. (I'm pretty handy but have never made my own cables.)
I make by own and buy cable in bulk.

You'll need to buy a tool kit to make your own and I much prefer the style of connectors that let you push the wires through the connector then clip the excess off.